What's the best way to introduce two horses?

Briebomb241295

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have two horses. One of them got hurt from the other horse. They were seperated so that she could heal. Now it's been almost 3 weeks and they've been in paddocks up next to each other but haven't interacted. Is there anything I can do to help them get along and be calm or do I just let them fight it out? I'm worried she'll get hurt again.

Briebomb241295

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Also, my mare keeps biting out the hair in the gelding's mane. Why does she do this and can I make her stop?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just like not all humans get along, not all horses get along. They may never be able to live together, it's a risk you take when having more than one.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have box stalls side by side, yet where they can not physically touch each other. That would be my next move.

Danica

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello,
I would say that your mare is probably is trying to be dominant by pulling out your gelding's mane or is not actually pulling hair out but trying to be friendly by grooming your gelding. I'm curious how large is the pasture that you tried putting them out together because if it is too small then the submissive horse has no where to go, and they will constantly be in each others bubbles. If this is the case they putting them out in a larger field together. Put the submissive horse in the field first then bring the other horse in, this might help because the submissive horse will have time to adjust to the surroundings and move away if they please when the other horse gets there. Another suggestion I have is maybe again putting them both in a large field but using hot-wire to separate it into two areas so they are in the same pasture but again the submissive horse is protected by the hot-wire fence. My final suggestion is putting both horses in the same field but have multiple piles of hay around so that the horses will be slightly distracted from each other but still be in each others presents make sure to have at least four piles of hay far enough apart so the dominant one does not just push the other horse away. If none of these solutions work like Secuono said they may just be unable to live together. I hope this helps!!

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hot wire to separate them is not a good idea. I once had a mare that was separated from other horses that she knew (had been pastured with them all summer) by an electric fence. They were separated for the winter because one guy did not think his horses needed to eat what the other horses were eating. She did not like one of the other horses and when he walked along the electric fence my horse kicked him thru the fence. The rest of the story was not good. Don't use electric fence to separate them.