When is a mineral block ok?

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have two young doelings (4 and 5 months) and 2 wethers (4 months.) We bought a big southern state mineral block for ruminants. Is it ok to just let them have at it, or do you have to wait until they reach a certain age before you would put that out for them?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi there, I believe the general concensus is that loose minerals are better than the blocks. They can damage their teeth on the blocks and have a hard time getting enough minerals out of them. When I introduce things like that I just put it out for a little bit at a time so they don't go crazy about it (novelty!) and before too long they only use what they need. Maybe I'm overly careful, I don't know!

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have the loose stuff too, so that's good info. thanks!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone on here in favor of blocks for goats... As others posted, it can damage their teeth and they don't get enough/what they need from them. You'd be far better off getting a good loose/granulated mineral formulated specifically for goats. That last is important as goats require copper and sheep can't have (what goats need) copper. You can start them off with small amounts until they get used to it, then I believe most just put it out free choice and the goats take what they need. In addition, I believe most goat minerals have AC in them to help keep your wether from getting UC.