WhiteMountainsRanch Kidding/Journal Thread; Summer Update

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm combining my Kidding and Journaling threads because they are so similar it seems silly to keep updating both of them with the same things. :rolleyes:

I should have just initially done it all on one thread. :p

Journal:

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
San Diego, supposed to be some of the nicest weather, but it's too warm for me.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Just me and my boyfriend Steve of 5 years.

3. How would you define your farm?
Small, backyard style, started slow, growing quickly!

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Turn my ranch into a heritage breed, self sufficient, food producing farm.

5. Have you ever built a house, barn, or other types of building? Do you want to?
No, yes.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
I've always loved and had lots of animals my whole life, but when I became an adult I realized you can get food and things back from them! I wanted a cleaner source of food and that prompted me to get more animals that provide for us!

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
I guess you could say a little bit of both!

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
Animals and plants. Want to know more about agriculture and about how to turn my farm into a business.

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
Commercial "traditional" farming!

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Absolutely!

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
I used to do a lot of things for this when I was a kid, mostly just reading now.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
No but I want to learn!

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I don't make any crafts, just food, but I would really really like to learn to sew well!

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Haha I don't know, I think so. I have dogs, cats, fish, chickens, quail, rabbits, ducks, turkeys, and goats and horses.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
No

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
Yes very much so. I have a select few flowers I like such as Mandevilla, and a few others, but mostly I like growing food. I have lots of fruit trees and a huge veggie garden. I'd love to have the room to do a bigger veggie garden and even grain crops!

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Yes, I love fishing, haven't been recently though. I use a fish pole with bait.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
We rent on an 11 acre piece of land where we share landlord and her boyfriend.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
I currently attend community college full time where I am almost done getting three degrees; Arboriculture, Sustainable Urban Landscaping, and Nursery Technology. Maybe someday I would like to continue on and get my Bachelors in Agricultural or Dairy Science.

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Producing food. Preserving Heritage Breeds.

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
I don't know that I want to create a degree, but ever since a field trip to UC Davis when I was in high school, I always wanted to take animal classes.

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
No, but I worked in the furniture business for a long time and I can finish wood well.

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
Yes, very much so.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Probably way out in the woods somewhere; Montana, Wyoming, Idaho etc...

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
Yes, that's what we use to heat our house.

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
I've always liked Batman.

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
Yes most of my friends are, family not so much.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
Yes, yes, yes, yes. Just wish I was better/ more creative at it.

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
I'll have to think about this and get back to you.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
No. I'd like to but you can't hunt here.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
Learning everything I can about raising animals for meat and food preservation.

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
Yes, yes, yes.

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
Yes, but small scale only right now. Would yes like to eventually go full scale alt. energy.

35 What is on your to do list?
For tomorrow: rake out all pens, expand goat pen, laundry, clean fishtank, homework.

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
No, yes.

37. In what do you trust?
Myself.

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
Yes. My entire life is one giant shoestring.

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
Yes, though I've always had animals my entire life, I definitely have a deep appreciation for other life besides humans; in fact I like animals more!!

OK some updates are in order:
June:
1. Won a $2000 scholarship for school. Too bad half is already gone to bills and the other half is distributed incrementally.

2. Delilah got mastitis, not sure if it was from her laying down a lot because of of rock in her foot, or if it was pneumonia or something else. Had a vet consultation via the phone and we put her on penicillin and Today and it went away and she is 100% all better now. Milk production low but increasing on the affected side.
July:
1. My baby goat (13 months old) has a lymph node swelling- took her to the vet, vet wants to do penicillin and banamine for 4 days to see if it will help reduce it.

2. My own stupid dog grabbed one of my goats ears through the fence. She lost 1/2 the ear and the vet put her on penicillin and banamine also. My poor baby girl. I hope she turns out ok. I guess that saying when it rains it pours is in order! Oiy, I don't want my goats to have problems!

3. This month we will be packing the house for our move.

So I have a yearling that we bred on March 11th. I was almost POSITIVE she was pregnant. She was getting bigger and bigger and I was even taping her weight and it was going up, and then it seems like overnight she was skinny again. I'm 100% sure I felt something move on her right side and now nothing. She hasn't developed an udder yet either and only 1 month to go so I think I've given up hope that she settled. Darn. I really wanted the experience of having one goat give birth before I have to go and do all of them at once!

Well we finally bought boxes today. We've been through several rooms in the house cleaning them out and what-not, but now for the 'real' packing. I can't wait to move and save money but it's so scary in the mean-time! So daunting I guess.

I sent out a certified letter to one of the people whom I purchased one of my goats from asking him to sign and return the bill of sale for her so I can transfer her into my name. I'm so anxious to see how this turns out! I just want him to do the right thing and sign it and send it back so I can get on with my life.

My baby girl Joline is doing better with her half-ear. Poor baby. The part that doesn't have skin is finally starting to dry up, I think the aluspray actually delayed healing since it made such an effective cover, it didn't allow it to dry out which it needs to do in order to fall off so the ear skin can heal back together. I am going to start soaking it again 2 x a day in iodine water.

Tomorrow is the last day of summer school and I am really happy about that. Next semester doesn't start until August 20th, so I get a little bit of a break. That will give me time to pack and move.

I've nervous about not having enough money for the pens and barn at the new place.

I don't think my yearling doe settled. She is about 3 weeks away from her due date and there is almost no udder to speak of. Man I am so bummed! I was so hoping for the chance to have the experience of ONE before I have to breed all 6 again.

I'm also nervous because I have added 'duties' at the new place and between that and my farm I'm worried I'll be too busy with school. And that's not even counting the time I need to try and squeeze in for working! OIY! I signed up for my classes next semester. It's 12 units, but it's like 5 classes and a lab, so that's A LOT for me to do on top of everything else. Only problem is if I don't take 12 units I won't get my scholarship money for the semester. Bad part is too that I only have about 4 more classes until I graduate with my degrees, but they are only offering like 1 class per semester because of budget cuts. So what I am going to do to get the units is just fill up the units needed with classes that I would need anyway if I was going to transfer somewhere. All in all STILL about 4 semesters left before I graduate, even though I am soooo close. I'm getting senioritis... I just want it to be over already, lol... Who knows what I'll do after that... try to get a part-time job making money I guess! Hopefully the farm will be making more money by then too.

I guess I just need to step back and take a deep breath! I have so much going on it's giving me anxiety!
August:
1. Going over to the new place and putting up fencing/ coops and getting it ready for us to move in. August is going to be crazy.

Heehee I wish I had clones! It would be a big help. I can't wait until we are making a profit and can hire employees!

Thank you friends!

I guess part of starting a journal means I need to write stuff more often!

Random thoughts: I bought a goat a while back not knowing it was an "American" Nubian not a purebred. I didn't know what that meant until after I had already got her. I would have rather she been purebred but I love her anyway. The lady who I bought her from is now selling her sister. She wants $400 for her, also an American. The breeders around here sell their purebreds for that much. Do you guys think she'll get it? I'd love to have her but not for that price.

I don't have a budget for anything right now- barely keeping the animals fed and bills paid. At least until we move. I can't wait to move. It's going to be scary trying to figure out how to pay for all the new fencing and coops and barn. My whole farm has been created on a students budget and I am getting scared that I won't be able to afford everything, at least for the first month or so, but after that we will be saving sooooooo much money! I can't wait... scared, but exciting at the same time!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kidding:
I am SO excited, but scared at the same time! EEk! First year for baby goats! :weee

I recently brought all four of my purebred does home after 17 days at the breeders, all were reported to come into heat and been bred at least 6 times each. :clap

Our due dates are Feb 21st, Feb 22nd, Feb 23 and Feb 25th. :th

I am SO excited about these breedings and bloodline crosses... plus we spent over $700 on stud fees, boarding fees, gas etc... so we hope we get some really good babies! :fl AND we will be keeping ALL of the baby does!!! :weee

I hope all four are pregnant! :fl Now to build the baby pens. :D I just had to share in my excitement!!!

This thread to chronicle my first year of baby goat experience!!!

First Doe: Ghia
6210_900x900px-ll-2af3d09a_sam_2269.jpeg

Second Doe: Minyette
6210_dsc07119-p.jpg

Third Doe: Joline
6210_sam_0317-p.jpg

Fourth Doe: Ghiselle
6210_sam_0011.jpg

Sire bred to the first three:
6210_mojave_farms_web_page003001.jpg

Sire bred to the last doe: (He's older now).
6210_mojave_farms_web_page004001.jpg

Last edited:

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
I am so exited, but scared at the same time! EEk! First year for baby goats! :weee

Anywho... I just brought all four of my purebred does home after 17 days at the breeders, all were purported to come into heat and been bred at least 2 times each. :clap The due dates are Feb 21st, Feb 22nd, Feb 23 and Feb 25th. :th

I am SO excited about these breedings and bloodline crosses... plus I spent over $700 on stud fees, boarding fees, gas etc... so I hope I get some really good babies! :fl

I hope all four are pregnant! :fl

Now to build the baby pens. :D

Just had to share in my excitement!!!

I will post pics soon!
:celebrate Congrats on the hopefully expectant does. :pop until Feb

GoatCrazyLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Congrats! That is very exciting. I'll be a nervous wreck when I get my Nubian bred.

2goats8kids

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ooooo, isn't that so exciting?!!? My two just got bred for the first time, too. We have similar due dates to yours, only in January. I keep haunting them, squinting at their rears trying to figure out if they're settled :p. MUCH harder than waiting for Christmas :D. The wee babies at the buck's farm had us all sooooo excited to have babies around again!

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yay! Rachel, our Nubian yearling, just came back from the breeders too. I can hardly wait, it will be the first time for everyone here! Not to mention, these bloodlines are to die for. :D Can you tell that I am excited? :p

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
meme said:
Yay! Rachel, our Nubian yearling, just came back from the breeders too. I can hardly wait, it will be the first time for everyone here! Not to mention, these bloodlines are to die for. :D Can you tell that I am excited? :p

LOL me too!!!!!
:celebrate

Some more pictures of my Goaties... :love

SAM_2269-1.jpg

SAM_2345-1.jpg

SAM_0007.jpg

SAM_0064.jpg

6210_sam_208.jpg

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My 2 Nubians are due on 1/15. Looks like we
will have lots of baby pictures after the holidays.
:)