Who uses collars on goats?

schmije

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm considering putting collars on my three boer goats, but I'm concerned that they'll get caught on things and get hurt. I'd like to be able to move them around by collars. Plus they're little Houdinis, so collars would make it easier to catch them when they're loose.

I'd like to hear pros/cons from folks who use collars on goats. What works & what doesn't? Could I use nylon dog collars with snap buckles? I would leave the collars on them all the time, so I'm not interested in a halter for occasional use.

Gsa90

Herd lurker
Reaction score
image.jpg I have a nylon dog collar with snap buckle on my pygmy goats. They haven't got attached to anything or each other yet and they keep them on all the time. Makes it very easy to move them between pens as we just clip a lead on !

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use dog collars on my boer goats for 4-H all the time. It's how we train them to walk with us and how we get them to the show ring and back. We also use leashes, but only when we are walking multiple or in early training so they don't have to walk next to us. Works just fine and doesn't get caught on anything. Just be sure to leave it loose enough so they don't choke or it gets embedded.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, I use collars too. Mostly for leading or the occasional tether.
I use grain buckets to catch escapees. I like to teach them to come running to a shake of the grain bucket so that rather than having to go after them - they run to me :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our goats wear collars. But, we use the ones with the little plastic ,snap in clasp that would break if they were to get caught in anything.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
because my goats have almost 60 acres of woods and pasture to roam on i generally don't keep collars on them full time because i am afraid they will get caught on something. i have a couple of does that wear a collar part time and it is the plastic chain with the little clasp that will break if needed. i train all my girls to lead with their head between my arm and thigh and that works pretty well. and like SA Farm's goats they will come running with a holler and a feed bucket

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
All my goats wear nylon collars with plastic snaps. Haven't had a problem as of yet. Mine also come to the shake of the grain bucket.

sabahat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Quite hanging down and i am worry how to resolve this problem althought her teat has been blocked due kids feeding.
20140920_220710[1].jpg

sabahat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One is swelling and can't get out the milk due to block teat
20140920_220753[1].jpg

sabahat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
20140920_220759[1].jpg
What should i do to resolve her problem her kids are unable to get feed by her

Latest posts