Why has my docile goat turned so mean?

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I pen breed my 3 does for 45 days, give or take a few of them. Since removing the buck about 30 days ago my once docile, lowest on the goat pole has turned into a royal pain in the others behinds. The other two does were purchased together and one has always been the head of the small herd so why now has the dynamics changed?

One doe refused to go in to the goat hut and it is brutally frigid here. I put a spare doghouse in their pen with hay and wood chips in it and that's where she slept last night. I hate to lock all 3 up together. There is no room in the barn as I have a momma and 2 babies in there and momma does not take to anything new or different.

This doe was not close to any of the others and has always been a loner since I got her. Could this be hormonal and do you think the dynamics will change later?

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Could just be her personality ...sometimes they are that way and you can not change them. I once had a little kid doe that was born on my farm and she grew up scared and would run away. She never outgrew it so I did not breed her as idid not want that trait passed on.

samplekasi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have 1 RAGING case of pregnancy horomones here about 30 days post breeding, she constantly harasses the other goats has pushed my kids down and attempted to head but me ( a snowball to the face seems to have helped at least with me ) and my kids now carry squirt guns they got in their stockings into the pen with them even though I am always in there with them.

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's probably hormones. I have one doe that is skittish around me unless she is pregnant. Then, she's the biggest cuddle bug you've ever seen. Weird.

Latest posts