Why Join Our BackYardHerds Community - Hey You Lurkers!

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
We're lucky to have an amazing community here at BackYardherds! Recently we made a huge change and updated our forum software. The new features and tools are proving to be worth the effort!

Well, I recently realized that even thought things look a bit different, the "feeling" of community is still the same. This got me thinking (which I try to do at lease 1-3 times a day ;) ) : "I wonder what our members love most about BYH? We have a great group of people here, and now even better features and tools... it would be cool to know what they like about being members!"

Then I realized we have hundreds of "lurkers" that visit every day but don't join us (I know... crazy to think, right?! )

Well, I decided it would be fun to start a thread where our existing and new members could:
  1. List the reasons why they like being members here
  2. Tell about some of the benefits of joining the community and going from lurker to member
  3. Post any other information that may help the lurkers (ya, you, the person reading this RIGHT NOW) that they should join our community!

Here are a few of the reasons I love BYH and think peeps should join us:
  • A very friendly and active community where you can discuss pretty much any animal to which you have stewardship
  • We have a strong sense of community here! People often come seeking advice about their animals and end up making friends. We pride ourselves in maintaining a fully-moderated, friendly and welcoming community, where flaming, cursing and trolling are not acceptable.
  • You'll be able to interact with tons of great people who share similar interests.
  • They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and we love seeing pictures of everyone's animals! Becoming a member allows you to easily post and share your pictures with a community that will appreciate them.
  • As a member, you have can participate in contests and giveaways often with prizes. They are fun, and who doesn't like free stuff from winning a prize?
  • You'll be able to subscribe to threads and forum sections and get notifications of updates.
  • Fewer Ads: Advertising keeps this site free for the thousands of people who visit. We reward our signed-in members by showing them fewer ads!
  • Registering is FREE and EASY!
(make sure to check the box for "No, create an account now")

upload_2013-12-16_13-17-37.png

Ok BYH members, please reiterate any of the points above and add your own!!

:thumbsup

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I will be the first to go. Talk about pressure.:confused:

I was encouraged to join by someone we partner with on our farm, and also my children.
I was very hesitant as the forum seemed so big, and I am old and not really into social media. I took the plunge however and I am glad I did. :) Prior to BYH we didn’t really have any “farming” friends and family members just didn’t seem to get the cuteness of our chicks, poults, geese, ducks, goats, or LGD’s. :hu We certainly speak a different language.;)

Here on BYH, well… it is like another family. This family understands how we can cry:hit when a chick dies, a hatch goes bad, a hawk swoops down for lunch and at the same time schedule a slaughter day . How we can care for our goats and sheep and still tan their hides and fill our freezer :drool. Many that do not do what we do cannot grasp the emotional ups/downs of farming. :barnie :weee :clap :):hit :smack :hugs

Many a BYH members have been there to share the excitement of a kidding and the joy the new births bring as well as cry for one another when things go bad. I realized there is a lot to our community. Sometimes we squabble, disagree and can act childish:hide but for the most part the support for one another is far greater. :thumbsup

I have learned a great deal from this forum and found everyone has something to contribute. The seasoned experienced farmer to the newbie… there is always something new. We glean from one another- better ways of doing things, things we’ve tried and worked and didn’t work. Sharing about new products, new studies, and different perspectives on animal husbandry, etc. helps everyone else by simply bringing the info forward.

I have also learned that being able to bring something to the table doesn’t always mean info … sometimes posting a pic sharing silly farm stories, and “boast posts” are what makes us smile, laugh, and get to know one another in the community.

Of course I still lurk through the rabbits section and the cattle section…. One day I may add these species as well. I know when I do I will have the support and encouragement . For now I lurk…;)

I would say to those that lurk, those that have joined but do not post…. Just jump in! :D There are a lot of great people here and many friendships are formed as well. Also remember once you can post pics… most of us are picture addicts… we must have pics or we will get the shakes and badger you endlessly! :lol:

Lastly I have realized that there are many caring people here that have a heart to share and help others, that is what makes it special. :)

For the Staff:
The new format, which I must say I was a bit afraid of because I am older and not so computer savvy, has turned out to be GREAT! I love the alerts and it makes it so much easier to follow a thread. The threads are always more than a title... it is someones sadness, joy, excitement, medical crisis, good news, boast etc.... a great way to keep up! Thanks for all the hard work you all put into this! :hugs

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The main reason I joined was because I kept seeing people ask questions about breeding related goats, and the general reply was " I read somewhere if it works it's line
breeding, if it doesn't work it's inbreeding"
I hate that.
It's not accurate and shows a lack of understanding of breeding.
I saw other information that was not accurate as well.
Now, I'm not saying I'm an expert about anything. Far, far from it.

I also had a selfish reason, I wanted to try to generate hits on my website. But, I've analyzed the data on visits to the websites from this forum and it is not significant. Out of an average of 1000 visits per month only 5 percent click from BYH

But, once I joined I enjoy the social aspects of it. For the most part friendly people who try to help.

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I will be the first to go. Talk about pressure.:confused:

I was encouraged to join by someone we partner with on our farm, and also my children.
I was very hesitant as the forum seemed so big, and I am old and not really into social media. I took the plunge however and I am glad I did. :) Prior to BYH we didn’t really have any “farming” friends and family members just didn’t seem to get the cuteness of our chicks, poults, geese, ducks, goats, or LGD’s. :hu We certainly speak a different language.;)

Here on BYH, well… it is like another family. This family understands how we can cry:hit when a chick dies, a hatch goes bad, a hawk swoops down for lunch and at the same time schedule a slaughter day . How we can care for our goats and sheep and still tan their hides and fill our freezer :drool. Many that do not do what we do cannot grasp the emotional ups/downs of farming. :barnie :weee :clap :):hit :smack :hugs

Many a BYH members have been there to share the excitement of a kidding and the joy the new births bring as well as cry for one another when things go bad. I realized there is a lot to our community. Sometimes we squabble, disagree and can act childish:hide but for the most part the support for one another is far greater. :thumbsup

I have learned a great deal from this forum and found everyone has something to contribute. The seasoned experienced farmer to the newbie… there is always something new. We glean from one another- better ways of doing things, things we’ve tried and worked and didn’t work. Sharing about new products, new studies, and different perspectives on animal husbandry, etc. helps everyone else by simply bringing the info forward.

I have also learned that being able to bring something to the table doesn’t always mean info … sometimes posting a pic sharing silly farm stories, and “boast posts” are what makes us smile, laugh, and get to know one another in the community.

Of course I still lurk through the rabbits section and the cattle section…. One day I may add these species as well. I know when I do I will have the support and encouragement . For now I lurk…;)

I would say to those that lurk, those that have joined but do not post…. Just jump in! :D There are a lot of great people here and many friendships are formed as well. Also remember once you can post pics… most of us are picture addicts… we must have pics or we will get the shakes and badger you endlessly! :lol:

Lastly I have realized that there are many caring people here that have a heart to share and help others, that is what makes it special. :)

For the Staff:
The new format, which I must say I was a bit afraid of because I am older and not so computer savvy, has turned out to be GREAT! I love the alerts and it makes it so much easier to follow a thread. The threads are always more than a title... it is someones sadness, joy, excitement, medical crisis, good news, boast etc.... a great way to keep up! Thanks for all the hard work you all put into this! :hugs

:thumbsup Good post! :thumbsup

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol... kids want rabbits.. to eat.:rolleyes:
I think they are cuddly. :p
I don't know if I could keep them in cages and if they were on the ground the GSD would have them dead in a minute... but I can still lurk. ;)

you're right they are cute(and tasty) ;) when we started it was my DD who had the idea(she is also part of the rabbit project through 4-H), once we got the rabbits we told the kids they could name and make pets of the breeder stock and that if we kept all the rabbits from the 1st litter we won't have room to continue the project. We also added a second breed- French Angora's for their fiber and they are for sure pets! So there's the solution for you! :lol:

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was a lurker for a long time...then missed being able to post and respond to other's posts...great community and I've learned so much...need to join to ask questions...and I love learning about not only the critters I have, but also others. Someone on here...and she knows who she is...LOL...is making it mighty tempting for me to get an LGD and I'm soaking up all the info I can.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was a lurker for a long time...then missed being able to post and respond to other's posts...great community and I've learned so much...need to join to ask questions...and I love learning about not only the critters I have, but also others. Someone on here...and she knows who she is...LOL...is making it mighty tempting for me to get an LGD and I'm soaking up all the info I can.

:lol: careful with those LGD people Bon... they are CRAZY!:p

Latest posts