Will this house work for my goats?

TwoDogFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi. We recently purchased our first goats--two Nigerian dwarfs and one Silkie miniature fainting goat. Right now, we let them out on a pasture during the day and put them up in a 10 x10 dog kennel at night. We are in the process of trying to get everything ready for winter. We've found the goat house below and are thinking about purchasing it for our three goats. This house is 54" long x 36" wide. For those of you who already have goats, would this be something that could work for them or should we look into something else? Thanks in advance.

Goat house.jpg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome Personally, I would be okay with putting two NDs in there, but not 3. As an always open lean-to for keeping them out of the weather, sure, but not for winter housing (unless you have winter that's very different from what I have!). I have 2 adults or 1 adult with kids in a 5x5 shed.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think size wise it is fine for three little goats. A full size goat needs about 5 ft^2. That shelter is 14 ft^2, that should be plenty since they have access to the outdoors. What kind of ventilation does it have? I see the front has a gap at the roof but not the sides. Does the back? You want cross ventilation. I also don't like wooden floors with my shelters, they tend to get nasty and rot.

What kind of winters and summers you have could make a difference. More ventilation for extreme heat. Extreme cold and you will want to pile the hay deep and it might not be tall enough.

TwoDogFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We were planning on leaving this open and putting it in a pasture area, so they wouldn't be confined to this space. They would just go in it to get warm. Sorry, I didn't specify that in my post above.

As far as ventilation goes, it has a door on the side as well as ventilation through the top of the roof.

We live in northern North Carolina. Usually, our winters here are pretty mild in comparison to those in the North. Last winter was an exception, though and we found it really hard to keep our chickens and ducks warm through the winter.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The wood floor will need a lot of cleaning. I'm in North Carolina, and my goats sleep outside most of the time. Even when it is very cold, if it isn't windy or wet they prefer to stay outside. About the only time mine stay in the house is when it is raining.

TwoDogFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The wood floor will need a lot of cleaning. I'm in North Carolina, and my goats sleep outside most of the time. Even when it is very cold, if it isn't windy or wet they prefer to stay outside. About the only time mine stay in the house is when it is raining.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of area do you have set up for your goats? We live around the Greensboro area. We had considered putting some of those rubber mats on the wooden floor so we would have the option of keeping it cleaner since I've heard that the wood will rot.

Right now in the dog kennel we have them in, we have one of those large pet carriers in there and most of the time they sleep on top of it rather than inside of it...Of course, it is the summer now though. I just want to have some kind of nice area set up for them so when the winter gets here, we won't have to worry about them being in the elements too much. And since you live around here, you know how unusual and cold last winter was. Did yours sleep outside then too?

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If your winters are mild then the should be fine, I live in VT and my goats are outside a lot even in the winter, just real cold times they are inside.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of area do you have set up for your goats? We live around the Greensboro area. We had considered putting some of those rubber mats on the wooden floor so we would have the option of keeping it cleaner since I've heard that the wood will rot.

Right now in the dog kennel we have them in, we have one of those large pet carriers in there and most of the time they sleep on top of it rather than inside of it...Of course, it is the summer now though. I just want to have some kind of nice area set up for them so when the winter gets here, we won't have to worry about them being in the elements too much. And since you live around here, you know how unusual and cold last winter was. Did yours sleep outside then too?

Most of the time they slept outside. If it is windy, or wet they get inside. I've seen clear, calm nights in the 20s and they stay outside. There coats get really thick in the winter. I will have to take a picture because I don't have one handy, but most of my houses are 3 sided shelters. I face the opening towards the south/southwest because in the winter time if it is cold the wind blows from the north/north east. But, mine are completely open on one end. I had always had dirt floors up until last year when it was just so wet all of the time. I added wood to cover about half of the shelter so they can get off of the ground. But, I do have to clean alot. If you put some wood shavings and straw it will soak up most of the urine.

The house in your picture is nice. It just looks like it would be hard to keep clean.

TwoDogFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Most of the time they slept outside. If it is windy, or wet they get inside. I've seen clear, calm nights in the 20s and they stay outside. There coats get really thick in the winter. I will have to take a picture because I don't have one handy, but most of my houses are 3 sided shelters. I face the opening towards the south/southwest because in the winter time if it is cold the wind blows from the north/north east. But, mine are completely open on one end. I had always had dirt floors up until last year when it was just so wet all of the time. I added wood to cover about half of the shelter so they can get off of the ground. But, I do have to clean alot. If you put some wood shavings and straw it will soak up most of the urine.

The house in your picture is nice. It just looks like it would be hard to keep clean.

Thanks. What about this? We could get this from the same place.
pig--goat house.jpg

Latest posts