Yucky does

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our buck is in rut and is currently being run with our does. We've had bucks in with does previously and while the buck has gotten gross and nasty as one expects with a buck in rut, our does have always stayed relatively clean. Not this year. My does are almost as disgusting as my buck! Has anyone ever bathed their does? I think mine are going to need it.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
LOL
Are they just rolling in dirt?
They bath them all the time for shows I think.
You should see my white Saanan. She looks like pig pen

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not just dirt, lol. They are smelly and sticky from the buck. This is his first rut. I'm so not looking forward to his rut next year since they usually get a more potent smell as time goes on...

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wonder what they would think of bathing. I doubt they will be thrilled with that idea. They aren't getting any more head scratches from me until they are cleaned up a little!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We bathe our goats. We just make sure it is a sunny warm-hot day. Our goats are normal goats that run and scream when a raindrop hits them because they think they will melt, yet for a bath they are fine. We put them in a stanchion and use very warm water. Towel dry as best as we can. They seem to do well on the stanchion. For young or small kids they get bathed in the house in the tub and fully dried. If all you have is a hose then I would suggest several jugs of warm/hot water (from the house) to wet them down with first and then make sure your hose is super LONG and in the beating down sun. This gives you enough hot/warm water to be able to rinse them. Be careful though as sometimes that water may start out ok then get seriously hot from the sun heating it.

BTW- at this time of year mites become active, if you suspect mites than you can add right to the soapy water permethrins 10% diluted to product label. It will kill whats on them but after you rinse there really is not any real residual affect.

Rosebud's Favorites

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would suggest using the old blue regular dawn dish soap. It will get the greasy grimy smelly yuck out of your does and clean up any mites they may have. It is gentle and they look great afterwards!