“CDT/CD&T” Vacs/ BoSe/VIT E SEL GEL/ B12 Discussion

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
“CDT” or “CD&T” vaccination for Clostridium perfringens type C + D and tetanus Discussion
d.GIF
Questions and are Answers correct!!

• Several companies make CDT vaccines and some of those include vaccines for additional clostridial diseases. Is there a preferred Brand to use and if so why?

Schedule for Does: should be vaccinated for CDT approximately 30 days prior to giving birth to provide protection to the kids through the first milk, or colostrum.

Schedule for kids: should be vaccinated at 5 to 6 weeks of age and then given a booster three to four weeks later.

Breeding bucks, yearlings and other adults should get annual boosters 30 days prior to the breeding season or when others in the herd are given booster vaccines.

Some research has shown that goats might benefit from booster vaccinations twice a year, six months apart. Anyone do this?

ADMINISTERING VACCINE INJECTION
I am fairly sure Subcutaneous is for vaccines, HOWEVER do they always get a soft lump at the injection site? I know it goes away but I was amazed at the size our Nigeran dwarf kid had gotten from it.
WHAT SITES DO YOU FIND BEST TO INJECT FOR INTRA AND SUBQ?

I found this site for needle sizes etc....
http://articles.extension.org/pages/63184/goat-injections
do you have a better link for them?

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image002.jpg

• Are there any other vaccines that you would suggest? and why?

BoSe Questions: Some education reads suggest giving along with CDT and others say that it SHOULD NOT be given to a pregnant doe as selenium has increased risks for abortion etc. What is correct? And BoSe is a rx so will Vit E Selenium gel work the same?

32222_L_vvs_000.jpg All-natural vitamin E and selenium at proper levels for use in goats. Contains 500 IU vitamin E and 2.5 ppm selenium per 5 ml (max level of selenium for goats is 3 ppm per animal). Dosage for newborn goats is 2 ml. Dosage for adult goats is 4 ml. Administer once every 30 days. Palatable butterscotch flavor in a gel base. Vitamin E & Selenium Gel in a dial-a-dose tube is easy to administer.

Intramuscular Injections of Fortified B12

Is this given with Vaccinations, on a schedule or just with sick and after multiple births?
Dosage correct?
  • Fortified B Complex-
    2.5 mL per 50 pounds of body weight. May be repeated daily, if indicated.
  • 25814_L_vvs_000.jpg

Thank you for the help everyone!

MikeLM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi Sally! A vet comes out and performs blood draw, CD&T and gives BoSe shot approx 30 days before frost kidding. Not sure of difference between gel and Bone shot.

Kyanite

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you for this! We are looking to get several kids in the very near future, but I haven't had goats since I was a kid. My Mom never did any of this. I know there's quirks to goats and am trying to gather as much info as possible. Mom says "just give them alfalfa and some grain." Not helpful! We have 5 acres. Small pasture, but awesome brushy hillside. I'm happy to let them graze as much as possible.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I give CDT 30 days before kidding and to the kids at 3 and 6 weeks (or close to it). I vaccinate my bucks at the same time as my does. I use Covexin 8 or Bar Vac brand of the CDT. Some goats get a lump and some don't. I use an 18-21 gauge needle depending on what I have at the moment.

I live in a selenium deficient area so I used to give Bo-Se to all my adult goats at the same time as the CDT. I would often have to give it to newborn kids as well. This got old with 40 goats so I started doing a different mineral, one they actually like, and started giving Multimin 90 injections every 4-6 months. This also took care of the copper.

I have never given Vit B to a goat so no help there.

I give a pneumonia vaccine yearly as well.

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you for this! We are looking to get several kids in the very near future, but I haven't had goats since I was a kid. My Mom never did any of this. I know there's quirks to goats and am trying to gather as much info as possible. Mom says "just give them alfalfa and some grain." Not helpful! We have 5 acres. Small pasture, but awesome brushy hillside. I'm happy to let them graze as much as possible.
Awesome! Too bad your so far away, all our kids gotta go! I will tag you when I load up my kidding info I am collecting, I have tons of questions as to what is right and whats wrong!

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I give CDT 30 days before kidding and to the kids at 3 and 6 weeks (or close to it). I vaccinate my bucks at the same time as my does. I use Covexin 8 or Bar Vac brand of the CDT. Some goats get a lump and some don't. I use an 18-21 gauge needle depending on what I have at the moment.

I live in a selenium deficient area so I used to give Bo-Se to all my adult goats at the same time as the CDT. I would often have to give it to newborn kids as well. This got old with 40 goats so I started doing a different mineral, one they actually like, and started giving Multimin 90 injections every 4-6 months. This also took care of the copper.

I have never given Vit B to a goat so no help there.

I give a pneumonia vaccine yearly as well.
Thank you for replying! I am pretty sure the small bottle I got is the covexin, I will read the label when I get it out today. Gonna do everyone this day. How do you get ahold of the BoSe? I ended up buying the sel e gel. I just recently had to copper bolous the adults. copasure I think it was called. I pray it works, I noticed dryness and very rusty coat colors, tails were starting to do that v thing as well. Have you every used....

Replamin gel (vitamins and amino acid chelated minerals) for boosting immune systems and great for helping with side effects of copper deficiency : Replamin 2-5 cc per head depending on the weight.

or (not sure if Bovi Sera is the same pneumonia shot your talking about? and it doesnt tell me if I should give adults the shot same time as kids... see below Bovi Sera)

Bovi Sera 5 cc of to provide the essential antibodies the babies must have to build a strong immune system. Inject subcutaneously or intramuscularly. PREVENTION as soon after birth as possible. Bovi Sera is an absolute MUST HAVE for any goat owner. Useful in the prevention and treatment of conditions such as pneumonia and enterotoxemia, passive immune failure in newborns and shipping fever complex in adults, Bova Sera provides an immediate boost to the immune system allowing goats to get back on their feet. Bovi Sera acts much the same as Goat Serum although goats are not listed on the label. Dosage of 10 cc sub-Q injection for adults and 5 cc sub-Q injection for newborns

I am reading so many goat owners love this stuff, the ratings are very cool to read about how much its helped herds. If you dont mind can I tag you in all the info when I upload so you can read through and give opinions on what to use and what not to for kids and does? I am very OCD and collect tons of info because I dont retain info in my head well at all. So NOTES have come into my life big time. Thanks so much!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
“CDT” or “CD&T” vaccination for Clostridium perfringens type C + D and tetanus Discussion
View attachment 32392
Questions and are Answers correct!!

• Several companies make CDT vaccines and some of those include vaccines for additional clostridial diseases. Is there a preferred Brand to use and if so why?

Schedule for Does: should be vaccinated for CDT approximately 30 days prior to giving birth to provide protection to the kids through the first milk, or colostrum.

Schedule for kids: should be vaccinated at 5 to 6 weeks of age and then given a booster three to four weeks later.

Breeding bucks, yearlings and other adults should get annual boosters 30 days prior to the breeding season or when others in the herd are given booster vaccines.

Some research has shown that goats might benefit from booster vaccinations twice a year, six months apart. Anyone do this?

ADMINISTERING VACCINE INJECTION
I am fairly sure Subcutaneous is for vaccines, HOWEVER do they always get a soft lump at the injection site? I know it goes away but I was amazed at the size our Nigeran dwarf kid had gotten from it.
WHAT SITES DO YOU FIND BEST TO INJECT FOR INTRA AND SUBQ?

I found this site for needle sizes etc....
http://articles.extension.org/pages/63184/goat-injections
do you have a better link for them?

View attachment 32393 View attachment 32394

• Are there any other vaccines that you would suggest? and why?

BoSe Questions: Some education reads suggest giving along with CDT and others say that it SHOULD NOT be given to a pregnant doe as selenium has increased risks for abortion etc. What is correct? And BoSe is a rx so will Vit E Selenium gel work the same?

View attachment 32391 All-natural vitamin E and selenium at proper levels for use in goats. Contains 500 IU vitamin E and 2.5 ppm selenium per 5 ml (max level of selenium for goats is 3 ppm per animal). Dosage for newborn goats is 2 ml. Dosage for adult goats is 4 ml. Administer once every 30 days. Palatable butterscotch flavor in a gel base. Vitamin E & Selenium Gel in a dial-a-dose tube is easy to administer.

Intramuscular Injections of Fortified B12

Is this given with Vaccinations, on a schedule or just with sick and after multiple births?
Dosage correct?
  • Fortified B Complex-
    2.5 mL per 50 pounds of body weight. May be repeated daily, if indicated.
  • View attachment 32395

Thank you for the help everyone!

We use Bar-Vac....simply because it is easily available locally, i have never seen anything that shows a different CDT is needed.

SubQ is correct, the lump shouldnt be to big because your only giving 1cc, we give it on the inside of the back leg or armpit and rub the injection spot to help the lump smooth out....we do the same thing for our dogs when we give them spring/rabies shots(on the back of the neck area for dogs).

We have never yet had to do a intra shot, we find the inner thigh to be the best for us esp on sheep as there is no fleece there.

We use the vitamin E and selenium gel, we only use it if the kid/lamb shows obvious signs of being selenium deficient and always dose the dam if we are dosing the offspring. We switched to a different loose mineral that they like better and have had far fewer problems with lacking selenium. We also give copper bolus once a year and we did give cobalt bolus to the does a few months ago.

We keep Vitamin B injectable on hand for sick/injured animals or just those who dont seem to be thriving sometimes. The dosage seems normal but all bottles/tubes should give you dosing and you should follow that as some brands will vary. The brand we use is 5ml per 100lbs,which is the same lol. Always check dosing even if it is something you have given many many times, the manufacturer could decide to change their "recipe" strength and you could be over dosing or giving to little. I would also note that we give Vitamin B SubQ not Intra and have not have any problems with it working.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for replying! I am pretty sure the small bottle I got is the covexin, I will read the label when I get it out today. Gonna do everyone this day. How do you get ahold of the BoSe? I ended up buying the sel e gel. I just recently had to copper bolous the adults. copasure I think it was called. I pray it works, I noticed dryness and very rusty coat colors, tails were starting to do that v thing as well. Have you every used....

Replamin gel (vitamins and amino acid chelated minerals) for boosting immune systems and great for helping with side effects of copper deficiency : Replamin 2-5 cc per head depending on the weight.

or (not sure if Bovi Sera is the same pneumonia shot your talking about? and it doesnt tell me if I should give adults the shot same time as kids... see below Bovi Sera)

Bovi Sera 5 cc of to provide the essential antibodies the babies must have to build a strong immune system. Inject subcutaneously or intramuscularly. PREVENTION as soon after birth as possible. Bovi Sera is an absolute MUST HAVE for any goat owner. Useful in the prevention and treatment of conditions such as pneumonia and enterotoxemia, passive immune failure in newborns and shipping fever complex in adults, Bova Sera provides an immediate boost to the immune system allowing goats to get back on their feet. Bovi Sera acts much the same as Goat Serum although goats are not listed on the label. Dosage of 10 cc sub-Q injection for adults and 5 cc sub-Q injection for newborns

I am reading so many goat owners love this stuff, the ratings are very cool to read about how much its helped herds. If you dont mind can I tag you in all the info when I upload so you can read through and give opinions on what to use and what not to for kids and does? I am very OCD and collect tons of info because I dont retain info in my head well at all. So NOTES have come into my life big time. Thanks so much!

Bose is usually gotten thru your vet....which is why i use the gel. I have not used the pneumonia vaccine but i am trying to talk DH into it for next year. Copasture is the same brand we use for our copper and cobalt. We have not used Replamin.

Latest posts