“CDT/CD&T” Vacs/ BoSe/VIT E SEL GEL/ B12 Discussion

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do have some epi, but never remember to take it to the barn when doing shots so it probably wouldn't do me much good.

Kyanite

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Are reactions to vaccinations common in goats? I was once fairly practiced with subQ, and intramuscular with horses, and I have given insulin shots to my cat. I figure goats are in the middle! When we get ours, I'd like to do as much of that myself as possible. Is keeping epi on hand recommended? Will vets prescribe it preventatively if there's no history of reaction?

MikeLM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Are reactions to vaccinations common in goats? I was once fairly practiced with subQ, and intramuscular with horses, and I have given insulin shots to my cat. I figure goats are in the middle! When we get ours, I'd like to do as much of that myself as possible. Is keeping epi on hand recommended? Will vets prescribe it preventatively if there's no history of reaction?

No, it's not common. Goats are sensitive to anesthesia though.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think allergic reactions to anything are fairly uncommon, but if it happens there's not time to get a vet out, you need to have the epi there. I used to have it on hand when I did my horse's vaccines, but it expired years ago and I'd need to get it through a vet now. I asked my horse vet once if I could get it through him, and he said no. I should ask the vet I use for my sheep.

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You know, I am thinking here. I actually just bought dex (dexamethasone for allergic reaction) because I had a pup get vaccinosis and then pup strangles in Jan. My vet said she didnt have any dex, which everyone thought odd, anyways I ordered it online to have in the fridge should I EVER run into that again, what a terrible time with that poor pup I had. Anyways, I wonder if that could be used as a sub to epinephrine.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a possible antibiotic reaction after an antibiotic shot at the vet on the way home. It was not an anaphylactic reaction. Long story short, our vet gave dexamethasone.

Kyanite

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll talk to my vet about it. The vet we use for our household pets actually specializes in exotics and birds, but she has goats herself. We just put deposits down on two doelings today. They'll be receiving CDT vacc before coming home so I won't have to do vaccinations right away. But, the time will come!