“Sheep and goat” feed with 11-13ppm copper?

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Since I have expanded into the world of sheep as well as goats, I’m researching a feed for both. I copper-bolus my goats anyway, so I’ll just likely do that more often, depending on condition. Everyone will have access to all-stock mineral, salt block, and cobalt block. I give replamin-plus at hoof-trimming time, too, to the goats.

So, options I’m finding are either to feed everyone the Dumor Sheep feed (but no ammonium chloride) or buy the goat and sheep feed (with ammonium chloride) from Producer’s Coop in Bryan, TX. Here’s the link: https://www.producerscooperative.com/wp-content/uploads/products/88 feed tag.pdf

Producers has the AC, which I want since I have wethers, and is much cheaper and easier to find in bulk. The listed copper content of 11.6-13.4 is more than I thought sheep could have. Any thoughts/experience? I currently have Barbados sheep, and will only have hair sheep

ETA: per sheepandgoat.com. ??so it should be ok??

“Copper (Cu) requirements

Copper is important for immune function in livestock. In 1975, copper requirements for sheep were set at 5 ppm (mg/kg)[2]. The requirements were increased to 7 to 11 ppm in 1985 [3].

More recent recommendations use an equation to determine copper requirements for sheep. The equation includes various factors, including an absorption coefficent, which varies by the class and weight of sheep. The maximum tolerable copper concentration is considered to be 15 ppm for sheep, assuming normal levels of molybdenum (1-2 ppm DM) and sulfur (0.15-0.25 percent) in the diet [4].

Last edited:

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't feed more than 10ppm copper for a long period of time. I've seen sheep die from 30ppm in a matter of months with daily feedings.

Hair sheep can tolerate a little more copper, so you might be fine with up to 13ppm.

I would ask the feed company how exact their measurements are. My local mill will only list things in whole numbers, so they may say 10ppm and in reality it's closer to 11ppm. For protein, they may list 14% when it's really 16%. Etc. Each batch is a bit different, but when I've asked they tell me they tend to list a lower number as they will get in trouble with inspectors if the actual tested numbers come in below the listed numbers. But they will not be in trouble if they come in above.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't feed more than 10ppm copper for a long period of time. I've seen sheep die from 30ppm in a matter of months with daily feedings.

Hair sheep can tolerate a little more copper, so you might be fine with up to 13ppm.

I would ask the feed company how exact their measurements are. My local mill will only list things in whole numbers, so they may say 10ppm and in reality it's closer to 11ppm. For protein, they may list 14% when it's really 16%. Etc. Each batch is a bit different, but when I've asked they tell me they tend to list a lower number as they will get in trouble with inspectors if the actual tested numbers come in below the listed numbers. But they will not be in trouble if they come in above.

I spoke to the feed store: per the rep, they have a note on the product “as they get that question a lot”. There is NO ADDED COPPER. Their analysis lists the copper that is simply found naturally occurring in the ingredients.
This coop is in the backyard of Texas A&M, so I couldn’t believe they were manufacturing something so out of spec with guidelines. I do feel better that they’re aware of the issue and were prepared to answer my question!