1 day old lamb with diahhrea

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does the diarrhea look like? Is it dark brown and sort of soft? If so, the baby is passing meconium and that's totally normal. After the meconium passes you will probably see soft yellow-ish, very sticky poops for awhile - also totally normal. If baby's behind get's really sticky and nasty you will need to clean it off. It can harden to the point that the baby can get clogged up and unable to pass anything.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What does the diarrhea look like? Is it dark brown and sort of soft? If so, the baby is passing meconium and that's totally normal. After the meconium passes you will probably see soft yellow-ish, very sticky poops for awhile - also totally normal. If baby's behind get's really sticky and nasty you will need to clean it off. It can harden to the point that the baby can get clogged up and unable to pass anything.
Perfect! That's exactly what it looks like. Soft yellowish hardened to butt and he looked like he was constipated. Will the constipation pass as well or should I give him something to help him along?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just keep it cleaned off or it can block the opening and he won't be able to poop. If the opening is clear he should be able to poop fine. I'd just watch him...mama's will sometimes clean it off of them and you won't see it on the ground but if he' acting ok, eating o and pooping ok, he'll probably be fine. If he starts standing hunched up and maybe grinding his teeth that's a sign of pain and if that happens a tiny little enema might help unclog him.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh that early poop is like treacle and hardens like concrete. My chosen method of removal is to get a bowl of warm water and bathe it ....some will soften, then some can be teased off from the fleece with your fingers. I tend to wear 2 pairs of blue nitrile close fitting gloves for the job. I keep a few old towels to dry the lamb afterwards. These can be soaked in disinfectant and re-used after washing.

As frustratedearthmother said, this stuff can block the anus.

Good news is the consistency changes after the first 5-7 days and the problem goes away.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Or your baby lamb poop loving LGD will clean it all up for you. My dogs think baby lamb poop is a treat and will go direct to the source. The lambs always have the cleanest butts! :lol:
LMBO! Ya know, the thought crossed my mind but when I let my LGD out to meet them yesterday the mom ewe got protective and stomped and headed butter her. Poor girl didn't know what she'd done wrong. Lol

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
After cleaning up the stuck poo, would applying something like coconut oil help keep it from happening again?
(Just wondering if it’s been tried :))