1 good udder, twins

Meghan Agner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
hey guys. I have this amazing nanny who always raises a jam up kid. This year though she had twins for the first time on my place. Did I mention she's a great mom? Problem is (maybe) she only has one good udder. The other was blown out before I got her. Can she raise them both on one side? She has plenty of milk. Do I need to supplement them? If it's a case by case thing, how do I know when I need to intervene?
Thanks for the help. Twins born yesterday

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As long as the kids are growing, active, and healthy, all should be fine if the doe is producing well in the good side. If one of the kids appears to be falling behind, then I'd consider supplementing that kid.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations on the twins! :clap If both kids are running around and being pretty active then they are getting enough milk.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have two who are each raising trips. I watch carefully first few hrs to be sure each gets colostrum. After that, they work it out and everyone is fine -- udders full. Same thing...you have 2 kids & 1 teat....here 3 kids & 2 teats. They learn to share and a good mom will BE SURE all feed. By the way, they have both had trips before and are mini-nubs - Mother/daughter. Daughter has freshened 2X and trips each time.

Watch first few days, check tummy(s).....as long as they eat first couple days, they will be ok to "fight over" the dinner plate.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Their bellies should feel full several times a day and they shouldn't always be hungry, looking for food. If they sleep and play sometimes, then they should be OK.

When I have triplets or more, I always offer and if they are ever hungry enough to take a bottle, I will feed them one. It bothers me to see 'fighting' over food but that is just me. Many does can feed more than 2 kids with only 2 teats.