1 week old not very mobile need help

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You have now... If you start getting itchy palms/hands, or a rash on them, it don't mean there's money coming... o_O What you pulled off could well have been a dirt encrusted scab...
How serious is this?

It says the animal will get over it in around a month but what about me? I have always washed my hands but not scrubbed like I was afraid of catching something and my puppy has licked this goats face every feed to get any milk he can!

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is the last time I will be nice and take a neighbors reject goat and try yo help it survive!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I posted a link... I believe all the pertinent info is there. I haven't read it in a while, sorry... I don't KNOW that it's ORF... just trying to offer possibilities for you to investigate. If I recall, it's not terminal or anything... just contagious and a hassle. Painful maybe... I've never actually experienced it. :idunno

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've dealt with it twice, the first time was a four week old kid, she got over it on her own over time, and no one else got it. The second time was I think the year before last, all my goats got it, they looked pretty 'ugly', but otherwise it didnt cause us any issues. I did not get it either time. I hope to never deal with it again, but if I do we'll get through it there are much worse things they could get. The sores in his mouth could cause him to not want to eat.

It sounds like you're doing what you can, I hope he makes it. I do not go by any feeding charts, all my kids are fed as much as they want per feeding, some eat more, some eat less.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do give him as much as I can pretty much get down him.

A call to the vet had him guessing off as well. He eats great despite those painful looking sores. It also doesn't explain his weakness and failure to be active.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update:

Looks like the sores are gone. The last scan fell off yesterday and this guy has shown significant improvement over the last 4-5 days. He is trying to bounce around and runs to me when he sees me. I am Hoping to move him out with my other goats this weekend! He drinks the entire 2 quarts of fresh milk I get daily from my one doe.