10 week Longhorn calf showing no interest in grain, hay, starter...

GigiB

Just born
Reaction score
Howdy!
I’ve successfully raised a longhorn bull from a calf with absolutely no problems. He did everything right and on time! So I had no hesitations when asked to foster a 2 weeks old who lost her momma. From the beginning she had a natural skittishness. No matter how often I worked with her to calm her she just doesn’t like me (🥺). But that has transferred to her being actually freaked out when any grain or starter pellets or anything is introduced to her.

She’s going on 10 weeks and never touches her grain. She will nibble/play with the hay. doesn’t drink her water, we have it where she can come and go from her stall to the pasture.
I’m concerned about rumen formation but also is she getting what she needs from the MR? (1 bottle 2x/day). I would love to get any advice on how to help her and get her weaned off so she can join another heard we have in another pasture. She’s currently being raised by my mare. But she’s even skittish of her!

my sister had an idea to blend the grain and put it in the bottle if that’s something she needs for rumen formation?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why would she need grain for rumen formation? Many cattle never see grain their whole lives and have correct rumen performance.

If wanting her to eat grain, maybe add a little molasses to it....folks say the sweetness lures them into eating unfamiliar foods.

Animal crackers...Bay uses animal cookies/crackers to make friends with stock...could be she would fall in love with them and you if you could get her to try one.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are several breeds that once they imprint on a cow, will not take to a "different" way. Brown Swiss calves are known for not being easy to get to take a bottle if allowed to nurse a cow... I have heard of it in the various crosses with longhorn / brahma blood. We got some red santa gertridis/brangus cross calves years ago from an area that was ravaged by drought, and lost 2 calves that just would not accept bottles, and several that went to just eating hay and drinking water and finally got to where they would eat a little grain. It was just in their dna and imprinted on the cows so that when they were separated off, they would rather die than eat.

My red polls are not overly interested in grain. They are truly a grazing breed. She must be eating something other than the milk replacer or she would not be growing at all. I think she is eating more grass and hay than you think. Cut her back to one bottle a day. She will drink water and you may just not see much of a difference.
Where are you located? General area added to your profile will help sometimes with different advice more pertinent to different areas. You can just list state or area of state to give a general idea.

If she can come and go then whe will not feel the need to get "friendly" with you. She might truly do better if in with some others of her own size/age, and might even "warm up to you" better in a group like that. If you have any real friendly ones that you could put one in with her it might help her. Cattle are truly a herd animal, and her skittishness might be from feeling she has to keep her distance to be safe since she was not day old when you got her. By 2 weeks, we have calves we cannot get near because they have got that "survival" instinct. By the time we wean them, they are friendly as can be. She doesn't have momma to help protect her, so her instinct is to stay aloof as protection. Some have that more than others. Some get past it, some never do.

GigiB

Just born
Reaction score
Why would she need grain for rumen formation? Many cattle never see grain their whole lives and have correct rumen performance.

If wanting her to eat grain, maybe add a little molasses to it....folks say the sweetness lures them into eating unfamiliar foods.

Animal crackers...Bay uses animal cookies/crackers to make friends with stock...could be she would fall in love with them and you if you could get her to try one.
I have no idea where I read that about the rumen formation, it’s totally possible I have confused myself 😂 I’ll will try treats thanks so much!

GigiB

Just born
Reaction score
There are several breeds that once they imprint on a cow, will not take to a "different" way. Brown Swiss calves are known for not being easy to get to take a bottle if allowed to nurse a cow... I have heard of it in the various crosses with longhorn / brahma blood. We got some red santa gertridis/brangus cross calves years ago from an area that was ravaged by drought, and lost 2 calves that just would not accept bottles, and several that went to just eating hay and drinking water and finally got to where they would eat a little grain. It was just in their dna and imprinted on the cows so that when they were separated off, they would rather die than eat.

My red polls are not overly interested in grain. They are truly a grazing breed. She must be eating something other than the milk replacer or she would not be growing at all. I think she is eating more grass and hay than you think. Cut her back to one bottle a day. She will drink water and you may just not see much of a difference.
Where are you located? General area added to your profile will help sometimes with different advice more pertinent to different areas. You can just list state or area of state to give a general idea.

If she can come and go then whe will not feel the need to get "friendly" with you. She might truly do better if in with some others of her own size/age, and might even "warm up to you" better in a group like that. If you have any real friendly ones that you could put one in with her it might help her. Cattle are truly a herd animal, and her skittishness might be from feeling she has to keep her distance to be safe since she was not day old when you got her. By 2 weeks, we have calves we cannot get near because they have got that "survival" instinct. By the time we wean them, they are friendly as can be. She doesn't have momma to help protect her, so her instinct is to stay aloof as protection. Some have that more than others. Some get past it, some never do.
I know she wants to be with the herd we have in our front pasture, I guess that’s why I want to get her weaned so I will be comfortable letting her out with them. My bull calf would just come running when I yelled for him. She won’t and I really don’t want to have to follow her around 20 acres until she feels like she wants a bottle. We have 3 nursing mommas with calf’s so it’s possible she could sneak a meal but I’ve seen them kick away a confused calf before. Those calves aren’t warmed up to us at all (letting a friend use our place to graze for the summer). I’ll see if I can get a couple to come up to me and pick those. Thanks for that idea!