11 month ram butting

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, here we go again...just the beginning of some light butting from our 11 month old dorper ram. This time we have done everything by the book in raising him from a 3 month old when we bought him. I was reading that a halter with "top blinder" helps since they can't see you when they back up and put their heads down for the charge. If they can't see what they are charging once their head is down, they don't charge? Anyone know anything about this? I've looked online and do not see this for sale on any sheep supply sites.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sheep's wool blocks their line of sight when their heads are down, doesn't stop the charging, just makes them more wary/slow about it.
Stomping my foot like the horses to also gets them to stop and do something else, lol. My two horses taught me that. :D

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks all! Will try stomping my foot, although today he is behaving himself, but at least we know to watch him carefully now. Guess my problem looking for that halter was thinking it was called blinders instead of shield. My husband is thinking electric prod, but was hoping to use that as a last resort.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, my horses taught the sheep to back off when they stomp, I just picked it up from them.
I usually use a long stick and whack the charger on the shoulder and that breaks their concentration and they wander off.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
When my ram looks like he's about to ram into me, I stick my leg straight out or my hand straight out...this confuses him and makes him seem like "what the heck is that?" so he lifts his head back up and comes closer to sniff. It works every time...even a couple times in a row :p

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Sheepgirl...I will try that:) We did not know what we were doing with our first ram and he got very dangerous, which was our fault for not knowing. This time we knew better, so when he first started this (gentle, but still...the beginning) we were dismayed. This ram's sire has never been a problem and we hoped with doing this right and good genes, we could avoid this. Thanks to all for your input! Really wish we'd found this forum when we first started out!

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
Thanks Sheepgirl...I will try that:) We did not know what we were doing with our first ram and he got very dangerous, which was our fault for not knowing. This time we knew better, so when he first started this (gentle, but still...the beginning) we were dismayed. This ram's sire has never been a problem and we hoped with doing this right and good genes, we could avoid this. Thanks to all for your input! Really wish we'd found this forum when we first started out!
bonbean,
I haven a 5 month old ram and so far he has not butted me but he is defending himself from a hornless goat doe who is in the same pasture.

I only have her in there for another few weeks until her baby is weaned. But she seems to be teaching him how to use his head..
Will this make him mean or more aggressive than he otherwise would be ?

He is separated from the ewes now because I am waiting for Sept. to put him in with them for breeding.

I never touch the top of his head or do any rough play with him.
All 4 of my sheep were just bought about a month ago and all this is new to me.

How did your first ram get dangerous? What was the behavior he did ?
I will do what SheepGirl does, stick out a arm or leg if my ram looks like he is going to run at me.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our first ram got dangerous because we were new and stupid to having sheep. We started with a 4 month old ewe and 4 month old ram. We were delighted at with our little sheepies and played with them, cuddled them and really enjoyed them. We thought it was cute when the ram was getting older and playing the head pushing game with us and we pushed back...sigh...totally the wrong thing to do, but seemed harmless and cute at the time. When he turned 2 it was not so cute and we started reading up on what to do and saw what a mess we'd made of things and tried to correct his behaviour. Nothing worked and it continued to get worse...long story short...hubby had to have his shin x rayed for a break, and it was not broken, but took forever for the contusion to go down and stop hurting...I was slammed up the side of a large tree and in shock when I fell and lucky I was not alone in there with him as he was backing up to take another run at me while still on the ground winded and not able to move. So, we had to get rid of him.

Got another young ram and did things the way that we read was correct and talked to other experienced sheep people and found this forum which had lots of good advice. At 11 months when I first posted this he was just starting to show some butting, but he is now 1 and a half years old and has been a good fellow. At the moment it is breeding time and we know to respect him while he is in with the ewes and some in heat.

We limit our time with him and he is happy to have us handle him when we drench him and do his hooves and is happy and flipping his tail when we scratch him under his chin...just don't do it during breeding time at all...he is king of the ewes at the moment and he made some lovely lambs last year.

Good luck with your sheep...you will get more down the road...they are addictive :)

Latest posts