12 Day Old baby Goat Not Eating

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I also wish it wasn't on these conditions that I am posting. I would say no on the vaccinations. He didn't for the 2 older goats ( 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years) that I got from him in July. I had to do that myself when I got them home along with the wormer. I have heard a lot of debate on these depending on the land and other animal population, but I did it to be safe.

Thanks you again for the welcome , words of wisdom and encouragement.

I'll post how we are doing after the vet appointment.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We're back from the vet! Temp was good. No problems with her stool, other than some blood. Not actually scours yet, it wasn't runny enough to be scours, but could have gotten that way soon. The vet said she needs goat milk, not cow milk. That the trace amounts of blood are the beginnings of intestine/stomach irritation. He also sent me home with a feeding tube and large syringe if she still doesn't take the bottle. She only weighs 4 lbs, and can't miss any feeding at this size. He wants her fed 4 oz. every 6 hrs until she takes more on her own or she is 2-3 weeks old.

Also, he said she was way to young to be given Pepto and electrolyte replacement. Said it would be fine if she were older and bigger.

Thanks so much for all the help! :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
So can you milk the doe and get some milk for the baby? Not to disagree with your vet but many many of us bottle raise our babies with cow's milk. It is usually preferred over replacers. I agree that goat milk would be the best but if you can't get that did the vet give you an alternative?

Hope she does well for you.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will add that I have a 2 week old bottle baby (Nigerian Dwarf) that has been to the vet twice already. Our vet gave her a B-complex injection. I was already giving B12 gel to perk her up some before feedings. The vet stated they need Thiamin for brain function.

She was also given BoSe at three days old.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He did not give me any other options for her young age. Since there was blood in the stool and she was on the verge of scours his opinion was "Goats milk or go home". He did tell me that when she gets a few weeks older that I could try to mix the 2, and increase the amount of replacer over time as long as she is still responding well.
The doe is at another farm, and has 2 other babies she is feeding. The mom is Boer and just doesn't have that much milk I guess.
I have been buying her canned goats milk so far and she takes much more of it per feeding than she did of the FRM milk replacer. She is up to 6 oz on average 4-5 times per day. Still having an issue with her not taking the nipple by herself, but as soon as I get it in her mouth she doesn't care. :D
I would attach a pic, but can't seem to figure that one out yet....lol

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
some of them seem to never catch onto getting the nipple by themselves.
I am not familiar with that milk replacer, Is it for goats?

We use Does Match by Land O' Lakes with great success and I have also used A cows milk recipee, with whole milk, buttermilk, evaporated milk and heavy whipping cream. Many people are raising kids on Whole cows milk.

I would guess it was the brand of milk replacer you were using.
But bloody poop can also be a bacterial infection such as e-coli. Since the kid is getting better with no antibioitcs I would guess the milk replacer wasn't doing well.

Vets do see a lot and I am sure when it comes down to it, Goats milk is best.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It's a FRM brand product ( Flint River Mills) and it's all stock, not goat specific. He did a culture while we were there and it was negative! Thank goodness
I haven't seen the land o' lakes one you use...must be region specific?
While I hope to never have to go through this again, I think next time I will try whole milk, instead of the replacer.

LOL, when you said goats milk is best, it made me think of a Le Leche ad for breastfeeding "Breast is best"

Thank you for all the info and support!

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Squirrelgirl88 said:
I will add that I have a 2 week old bottle baby (Nigerian Dwarf) that has been to the vet twice already. Our vet gave her a B-complex injection. I was already giving B12 gel to perk her up some before feedings. The vet stated they need Thiamin for brain function.

She was also given BoSe at three days old.
He didn't even mention the injections, but if she has any relapses or further feeding issues on the goats milk I will ask about them.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
8256_peaches.jpg

The goat in question...Peaches

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Now she has some bloody mucus in her stool. Was told she might be eating too much, so I am cutting it back to 3 X per day and offering 6 oz per feeding.
What think you guys?

Latest posts