12 Day Old baby Goat Not Eating

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I promise and swear to you that using whole cows milk would be fine....
You could even mix cow w/ the canned goat milk as time goes by and she eventually goes up to 1/2 g per day....the canned goat milk I've seen gets pretty $$.

Here's a link to a page I wrote about bottle raising kids....it covers how / when to offer other feeds, increase the milk quantity, etc. Also covers other stuff.

http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=586

We feed all our kids (around 40 per year for well over 10 yrs) 3x a day from birth. I've had several slow starters who you pretty much have to put the nipple in their mouths at first but they eventually figure it out.

It might not hurt to put 1/2 tsp of baking soda in her bottle in the am for a few days. I also like the idea of a B vitamin shot. I'd give her 2cc IM.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a 7 day old Boer/Nubian x who is eating about 14 oz three times a day! Other than a slight bit of scours that were cleared up with a homemade version of electrolytes, some probiotics, and a CD antitoxin shot, he's in good health. He drinks cow's milk.

Your girl needs more food. The bloody stuff isn't sitting right with me. I'd consider maybe a clostridium antitoxin injection or antibiotics.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have 3 on a bottle right now and they are getting 12 to 14 ounces four times a day.
They are getting a 50/50 mixture of kid milk replacer(for goats) and whole milk recipee. I feed them at 7am, 11 am, 4 am and 10pm.

Edited: Oops, not 4am, but 4pm.

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I have 3 on a bottle right now and they are getting 12 to 14 ounces four times a day.
They are getting a 50/50 mixture of kid milk replacer(for goats) and whole milk recipee. I feed them at 7am, 11 am, 4 am and 10pm.
Would that be 4 PM? Just to clarify....

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Godsgrl said:
20kidsonhill said:
Would that be 4 PM? Just to clarify....
yes,4pm. :)

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think we have the almost scours under control, just an issue of trace amounts of old blood, brown not black, in her stool still. She has gained 8 oz since Tuesday!
I will start adding cows milk to the goats milk as soon as the blood is no longer an issue. The vet this morning came up with a very scientific way of determining the amount she should eat per her body weight and came to 12 oz per day in 4 feedings! WTH! I hope this gets the blood issue under control soon, she is chewing on everything and head butts me looking for a teet every chance she gets!
She's still active and spunky like a good kid should be, I am praying it only takes 1 more day so she can start to eat more at 3 feedings. She's 2 weeks old today.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
CrazyCatNChickenLady said:
6oz 3x a day isn't enough. I'm feeding my 1 week old kids 12oz each 3x a day. Theyre on whole cows milk too!
x2.

Mine was eating 16 oz 3x day at 2 weeks. What does your girl weigh?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of mine bloated today and is off his bottle, but he made a pig of himself yesterday and I let him drink a 20 ounce bottle, then husband did the evening feeding and let him drink a big bottle. And this morning he was slightly bloated, constipated and grinding his teeth. Frustrating.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My little guy gets 14 oz 3x a day at one week. Storey's Guide to Raising Milk Goats recommends 36 oz a day for week old goats 2-4 times a day. The fact that you've got a meat goat means you need to feed more. I'm sorry, but your veterinarian is wrong.