12 Day Old baby Goat Not Eating

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
SkyWarrior said:
My little guy gets 14 oz 3x a day at one week. Storey's Guide to Raising Milk Goats recommends 36 oz a day for week old goats 2-4 times a day. The fact that you've got a meat goat means you need to feed more. I'm sorry, but your veterinarian is wrong.
She just yesterday weighed in @ 4.5 lbs. There is no way her tummy could hold 14 oz at one time.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
FEEDING BABY GOATS (NOTE: Rev 3/3/00) WEIGHT (in lbs) 4 x DA 3 x DA 2 x DA GRAIN
5 3 oz 4 oz 6 oz 1 oz
7 4 oz 6 oz 8 oz 2 oz
10 5 oz 7 oz 10 oz 2 oz
15 7 oz 9 oz 14 oz 2 oz
20 8 oz 11 oz 16 oz 3 oz
25 10 oz 13 oz 20 oz 3 oz
30 12 oz 16 oz 24 oz 4 oz
40 16 oz 21 oz 32 oz 5 oz
50 20 oz 27 oz 40 oz 6 oz

[If you would rather figure it by age: Day 1-2, 4-6 oz 4 x da; Day 3-7, 8-10 oz 3 x da; Weeks 2-6, 16-18 oz 2 x da; Week 6 to weaning (8-14 wk), 20-24 oz 2 x da. However, we do prefer the chart above.]

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boysmom08 said:
SkyWarrior said:
My little guy gets 14 oz 3x a day at one week. Storey's Guide to Raising Milk Goats recommends 36 oz a day for week old goats 2-4 times a day. The fact that you've got a meat goat means you need to feed more. I'm sorry, but your veterinarian is wrong.
She just yesterday weighed in @ 4.5 lbs. There is no way her tummy could hold 14 oz at one time.
She is tiny isn't she? None of mine have been that small. I think that trying to feed less more often is probably the best as that is how mom does it. If she sin't screaming bewteen feedings she is probably ok. As she gets bigger she will let you know when she is hungry.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She's doing better eating, but since Saturday night I have had to replace every other feeding with electrolytes. Yesterday we got 2 milk feedings in a row before the scours came back. Oh joy!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Something is definitely not right w/ that kid, I've never had one keep a scour unless there was a problem, something bacterial or a parasite.
I really, truly have bottle raised 400+ kids....what I offer as advice is from actual practical experience, not read online or in a book.

Your vets info / advice isn't impressing me.

Meat goats don't necessarily need 'more' milk than dairy kids, but if she's only 5.5 #, there's def. something wrong. That'd be a low birth weight, much less at 2 weeks old. She should gain around .5# per day if growing 'well'. I actually am upset if they don't gain more than .5# per day.

If the kid were here I would -1- pull her off anything but a gelling electrolyte (it will fill them up better than electrolytes alone, and help slow the scour. 2 - 2cc of B vitamin 2x a day for 2 days, then 1x a day for a week. 3- probios 2x a day for 2 days, then 1x a day for a week. Scour Check 2x a day (2cc) on an empty stomach (at least 30 min before or 2 hrs after eating) for 3 days. After 3 days of the gelling electrolyte, try 1/2 milk and 1/2 water dilution and see how she does.

If she scoured again, a fecal would be ran, asking to check for coccidia / bacterial causes.

We don't use anything but 'fresh from the goats' pasteurized milk (not store-bought) and Vitamin D when we have a goat milk shortage. No additives, no preservatives, no sweeteners, thickeners, etc.

I have a 32#, 30 day old Boer buckling who's drinking 30oz 3x a day. I have a Nub doeling who's 5 weeks old, weighs 25# and is taking 20oz 3x a day. There's really no set formula...just gradually increase their amount (and I want to stress the "gradually" part) over time, monitor their poop and weight gain, and overall condition / behavior.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Rolls is very very good at this---our vet's have a great knowledge base and are acting on that but most are not as well versed with goats as with cattle and other animals, and sometimes their advice has to be balanced with the advice of a pro who works with goats regularly---in this case, I would heed the advice of RollFarms over your vet. Hope you can get your baby back on track.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
Rolls is very very good at this---our vet's have a great knowledge base and are acting on that but most are not as well versed with goats as with cattle and other animals, and sometimes their advice has to be balanced with the advice of a pro who works with goats regularly---in this case, I would heed the advice of RollFarms over your vet. Hope you can get your baby back on track.
x2
:thumbsup

experience is invaluable at times.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
babsbag said:
Pearce Pastures said:
x2
:thumbsup

experience is invaluable at times.

X3.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I 2nd and 3rd and 4th the spectagard scour halt for pigs, It is very good for a bacterial problem.