12 Day Old baby Goat Not Eating

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have a 12 day old baby goat who's mother had triplets and wasn't feeding the runt well. I have been trying to feed with FRM milk replacement and she was doing ok Sat afternoon and Sunday, but today she will not take the bottle at all. How long can I let her go without milk before I have to force the issue? It's been 12 hours since she ate last.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
First, I have never had good luck with milk replacer and can tell you that others have had the same experience. Try using some whole milk warmed to about body temperature. If a kid skips one feeding, I do not worry but more than one, is cause for concern.

What type of nipple are you using?
How frequently were you feeding?
Have you checked for a temperature?
Is she peeing and pooping normally?
Acting tired or wobbly?

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm using a rubber nipple that fits onto a 20 oz plastic bottle that we got at the feed store with the milk replacement. I was offering the milk every 4-6 hours, but she wouldn't always be interested. She doesn't even latch on herself, I have to pry her mouth open to get the nipple in, then she would eat. Her last feeding was 12 hours ago. She had 14 oz of milk through-out the day Sunday. As I am not familiar with this young of a goat, I would say she is moving about ok, but she does sleep a lot, or at least lays down. She peed last night at some point, but no poop during the night or this morning. She did yesterday afternoon.
I don't know how to check for a temp.
You said she could skip one feeding alright, but how much should she be eating and how often? She's 12 days old today.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I have Nigerian Dwarfs so my amounts may be different but we feed 3 times per day an evenly spaced intervals. 14 ounces of milk sounds like a lot to me but again, we have small breeds who never take that much. At two weeks, ours take between 4-6 ounces per feeding.

To check for a temperature, put a plastic slip cover over a thermometer, use some lubricant, and insert it into her rectum. You many need someone to hold her while you hold the thermometer.

If she was pulled from mom, she may resist the bottle and have to have her mouth opened and held closed around the nipple for a week or so until she gets the hang of it. But you say she took it for a few days without trouble so do make sure she isn't running a fever.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks you! When I said she had 14 oz, that was all day long the total of multiple feedings. She's a kiko/boer cross. I think I will try a smaller nipple and the whole milk. I don't want to cause scours, but I can't let this baby die from dehydration or starvation. I know I may be getting a little worried, (as my husband says "FREAKED OUT"), and once I have some experience under my belt it won't be so bad.
I'll try the temp taking tonight if she is still doing good, otherwise I guess we will be going to the vet.
She's grinding her teeth too now. Not sure what that is all about.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Grinding teeth means pain. Does she seem bloated at all and do you have any baking soda or mineral oil? Do get the temp and let us know. There are several possibilities here and you may want to get in touch with a vet to see if they would see her.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
OK, we're going to call the vet, she has scours now. The feed store said give her an infants dose of pepto every 2-3 hrs and pedialite, but I'm not sure.
This is way more than I thought I was getting into.
She doesn't look/feel bloated at all.

Boysmom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Vet @ 1pm..she has energy still, jumps out of her crate to find me if I walk away.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I would not give her anything just yet. Sometimes scouring is good because it gets out bad stuff too, but the fear is really that the kid will become dehydrated. Let the vet see her at this point. Do you know if her mom was given a CD&T vaccination before kidding?

I know it is scary, especially when this is new to you. It isn't always like this and you are doing a great job.

(Welcome to the forum by the way-sorry it is under these circumstances and I hope things turn out well for you and your doeling).