12 week bunny squeaks and thumps

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
One of my friends 12 week Lion Heads has started squeaking and thumping whenever my friend goes to pick her up, but stops as soon as my friend is holding her. She just started this behavior recently -- up until a few days ago it was no big deal.

My friend has read that they will thump when they feel threatened, but isn't sure what the squeaking is about. The bunny starts it as soon as the cage is opened, so that rules out pain when she is being picked up. She read somewhere else that the squeaking is what bucks do when they're in heat (impossible, I know.. it's the does who go into heat, and I told her so :p).

Any ideas?? This is her first time with rabbits and I've never had rabbits so I'm clueless as well. Any input is appreciated. :)

Oh.... Does constant licking have something to do with it too? She's got a salt lick for them but this one will lick her constantly when she's being held.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dont know if Rabbits have this, but males do go into heat. Just its called rut.

Thumping is when they feel threatened, just go rabbit hunting and you'll hear a thump about 2 minutes after the rabbit dashes away :lol:

Squeaking? Could be an affection thing, i dunno

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
hm... well my does generally will squeak loudly if put in a cage next to a buck and they want to be bred. recently put some rabbits in cages buck, doe, buck, doe and you shoulda heard the grunting and squeaking! :p
maybe the doe is saying "hey i want a boyfriend!" perhaps...

i had a doe once do a terrible squeaking fit when i tried to breed her. she missed that breeding. not sure if there is a correlation there or not.

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, folks! :)

Is 12 weeks old enough for this doe to be in heat? At least it's supposed to be a doe... :/

I'll send all this to my friend.

Petty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
For small breeds, the optimal mating age is 5 months for does and 6 for buck. For medium breeds, it is 6 for does and 7 for bucks. And for large breeds, it is 8 for does and 9 for bucks.

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a dutch buck that thumps continuously from the time he sees me until I let him out & play with him he likes to lay on my chest & put his head on my shoulder. I think mine does it cause he's spoiled & wants attention cause he always quits when I pick him up