12 week old goats with diarrhea

abuck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to the forum, and a new goat owner. We adopted two Guernsey goats and after three days, thy both developed diarrhea (first it was dog poop-like, then more liquidy). We do let them graze, which is different from the dry lots they were born in, so I thought this was a result of the diet change. The diarrhea is greenish brown. No blood in it. And the goats are eating, drinking and as playful as ever. I am concerned about coccidia, but the goats don't seem ill except for the diarrhea. I also read that dietary issues should clear up in a day, and we are on day three of messy poops.

We put baking soda out and they both partake in that. I am going to start a mineral supplement today, as well as an electrolyte supplement. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to get a fecal NOW. They are at the prime age for cocci, if this is cocci you won't have much time left. :(

They are at the prime for a cocci bloom. It has been a rough year for many when it comes to cocci.

I hate doing this, but if you cant get a fecal run NOW I would start treating them for it. This is not ideal though. It is best to have a fecal run first.

Has the breeder had them on a cocci preventative?

abuck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just spoke with woman who we got the goats from and she said she had a coccidia outbreak last Thursday at her farm, so this is most surely coccidia. I am treating with Corid, Imodium, and Pearl probiotics per her instruction. Very scary, but I'm glad we're taking action now.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have they had good success with corid? Its not my first choice, but its better then nothing!

When did you bring them home?

Glad the breeder is walking you thru it! How come she doesn't have them on probiotics labeled for goats?

You aren't using Immodium AD are you? I would NOT use this in 12 week old kids!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was on your other thread but I'm putting it here as well
It would still be good to have a fecal run. Especially after treatment, you want to be sure their count is down. Sometimes it can take several treatments. I don't know the protocol for corid, but with Di-methox & baycox I would still treat them 10 days later. Possible again 10 days after that depending in the fecal.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW!!!! Imodium? Never would I use that on a goat. I am sure your breeder does but again I WOULD NEVER use that on a goat. It can stop the rumen for functioning.

If you are treating the cocci the scours won't really hurt them as long as they are not dehydrated.

If you can get Dimethox 40% for cocci it will be better than the Corid. But Corid should work in a pinch. The Dimethox is given orally 1 cc /5 lbs. first day 1 cc /10 lbs. next 5 days.

Would love to see pictures of your goats. And what is the udder malformation? Could you breed and milk if you wanted to?

abuck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've attached a picture of the goats. Gudron and Hildur. I believe I could kid them and milk them if I wanted, but that is a commitment I'm not quite willing to make (I'm in grad school, starting a career soon (hopefully)). The abnormality in the udder is that one of the milk squirters is short and aiming the wrong way. To be honest, I'm not really sure what a normal udder looks like in the first place. They seem like normal happy goats to me.

Attachments

• 13558975_10208905111481294_3166515138654245019_o.jpg
    13558975_10208905111481294_3166515138654245019_o.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 140

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are so pretty and such a rare breed in the US. The "milk squirters" are called teats ;) and yes, they should be the same size and they should point downwards and be placed so that there is little contact between the teat and the inside of the rear legs. But it doesn't sound like the abnormality on yours would stop them from raising kids but they might be a little harder to milk. You have lots of time to decide and we are enablers to the max. :lol:

Are the scours getting better?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Goat enablers here? :ep PSHAW! Say it isn't true! :th;)

abuck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My neighbor studied cheese-making in France and makes AMAZING goat cheese. I would love to be doing that with milk from my goats, but it seems like a big undertaking. Baby steps.
Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon, but the scours seem to be subsiding. Goat butts are looking less dirty. I've been washing them a few times a day, and usually they look dirty minutes after the wash. Now they seem to be staying clean longer. If things haven't noticeably improved by tomorrow, I'm going to run a fecal over to the vet.

edit: about the goats. They are sweet and as gently as can be. Such a cute breed.