1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Let's start this week fun. Submit your Horse Humor - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

12 week old meat rabbits dying

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by JHP Homestead, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jun 5, 2019
    JHP Homestead

JHP Homestead Overrun with beasties

I have a cage that was holding 5 ready-to-butcher meat rabbits. During the last 24 hours, 3 of these rabbits have died for unknown-to-me reasons.

They seem to be having some diarrhea and aren’t particularly interested in food, although they did eat a handful of grass yesterday.

We cut open the two that died today and didn’t see any liver spots to indicate coccidiosis. The one’s stomach and intestine contents were really watery and both had a lot of empty intestines.

They are fed pellets and some weedy grass hay that was baled off the edge of a field and has some briars and other weeds in it. I don’t think there’s anything that could be in the hay that could cause this. Or maybe there is?

Any ideas what disease/?? this could be and how to treat it or prevent it from spreading?

Thanks in advance!

AmberLops likes this.
  2. Jun 5, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

I'm sorry about your kits!
    I'm not sure...it could have been something they ate in the weeds/hay but with the empty intestines I would suspect a GI deformity or something of the sort...
    I'll tag some other rabbit people!
    @Bunnylady @B&B Happy goats @Hens and Roos

3. Jun 5, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

If it was hot out, and five were in the same cage....heat stroke ??? Some bad weeds ????? I really haven't a clue, bet @Bunnylady knows :)

promiseacres and AmberLops like this.
  4. Jun 5, 2019
    JHP Homestead

It’s only been around 70 the last couple days, which is about the same as the last couple weeks.

AmberLops and B&B Happy goats like this.
  5. Jun 5, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

I guess the only good outcome could be that you didn't eat them IF they were diseased. Really sorry you lost them, .........we raise NZ for meat also, and we have Flemish giants.....

AmberLops likes this.
  6. Jun 6, 2019
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

Had the rabbits been living in this cage prior to you losing 3 or did you move them to this cage? Reason I ask, is to see if they got stressed and that could have caused them to slow down/stop eating and drinking enough and they ended up experiencing GI Stasis(the slowdown or cessation of peristalsis of the intestine).

7. Jun 6, 2019
    JHP Homestead

They were moved to that cage a week ago.

AmberLops likes this.
  8. Jun 6, 2019
    JHP Homestead

I went out there this morning and a 10 week old rabbit in a different cage was dead. And one of my senior bucks on the complete other side of the rabbitry doesn’t look very good.

The only thing I can find much info about treating is Coccidiosis. Could it be that even though there were no lesions on the intestines or liver? Is it safe to treat with Corid even if that’s not what it is?

AmberLops and mysunwolf like this.
  9. Jun 7, 2019
    mysunwolf

mysunwolf Herd Master

Yes and yes, treat for cocci. Corid is safe, though some will do a course of liquid B complex vitamins in the water after treatment. Butcher any that are ready now. We have had this happen to our NZs and a good friend who had nice Silver Foxes. We've both lost large portions of litters this way.

Like I ranted about in another thread, cocci can get them even in raised wire. I've suspected that it's flies spreading it from the manure below, to the cages above, but that's just a guess.

10. Jun 7, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Because we are in Florida, this year I am using corrid in the rabbits, chickens and goats water as prevention all summer, small dose but has been working well.
    I agree about the flies helping carry, we have neighbors all around us with farm animals....nasty flies carry everything :sick

AmberLops and JHP Homestead like this.