1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Rate this sheep's condition - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

12 week old meat rabbits dying

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by JHP Homestead, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jun 11, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    AmberLops

AmberLops Loving the herd life

Most of the time, Necropsies will only give you possible diagnosis and usually they come up with other 'possible' things it could be that were not tested for. And for $300 I would not do it either!
    I'm sorry you're losing your rabbits. I hope it ends there and all the others will be just fine.
    It is strange for adult rabbits to die from Coccidia. It could be that their immune systems were actually weakened by something else that you didn't know of first, then the coccidia did them in ?
    I've read that Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water along with Blackberry leaves/vines is a great treatment and preventative for Cocci.

2. Jun 11, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    JHP Homestead

JHP Homestead Ridin' The Range

Apple Cider Vinegar is a good idea. I’ve thought about giving it them before for general health but read that it’s bad to put it in the water if you use the automatic waterer drinking nipples. Supposedly it grows and clogs up the water lines.

Do you think I could dampen some whole oats with the ACV and feed it as a treat once a week, or even every day?

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  3. Jun 11, 2019 at 10:18 PM
    AmberLops

AmberLops Loving the herd life

That's a good idea!
    And yeah..i can picture it clogging up the lines. It grows little "mothers" in the water bottles.
    You could give them each a small bowl with the ACV water. That would probably be easier...i'm not sure if they would eat the ACV covered oats. Maybe they would though...if they eat it, feed it every day :)