1st bale of the winter

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well we got our 1st hard freeze of the year.an it killed all the grass.got down to 29 here this morning.so we put out the 1st round bale of the year.the freeze was about 30 days early.a few cows started eating hay as soon as it was put out.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've been feeding for a while now. We usually start around mid September as the pastures are no longer growing that well by then. This year they have had hay feed off and on for half the summer with the dry weather we've had.

We had 19 degrees this morning. Looking for much the same tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i guess we need to hustle up some wood.an start a fire.now all the cows an calves will get real gentle an easy to handle.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I started feeding a little when deer season started, I feel better keeping them close to the house!
I shut all the gates last week! I am now the nice lady that feeds them!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i dont have to worry about deer huners.as our pastures arnt in the bottom.do have to worry about neighbors waasting shots on their land tho.thats what you get when all your kinfolk own close to 1500acs around you.goodthing is no outsiders can move in since we own 1500acs or more.an we will not sell any land.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We started feeding hay in September to make sure our preggers girls were getting enough food, given summer was hard on our pasture (it's not in the best shape and we don't have water rights so can't irrigate).

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i checked the hay this morning while i was out.an the cows had barely touched it.i figured with 80 cows an calves they wouldve really ate it down.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
right an also theres still grass in the pastures.an a few of them found a hole to get in the hay meadow an graze.i know theres grass in there.because it couldve been baled again.

Latest posts