1st Taste of Our Own Lamb!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We took our first 3 lambs to slaughter, 2 were wethers, 1 was a ewe lamb that just didn't grow out the way I wanted. We had sold 2 1/2 of them, so kept a half of a lamb for ourselves. Last Sunday our daughter grilled the chops and cooked leg of lamb roast. I have never cooked lamb, she had, so she was elected!

That. Was. The. Best. Meat. I. Ever. Tasted.

I've eaten lamb in restaurants before and it was strong and gamy tasting. We've eaten lamb at our daughter's house and it was good. Nothing, NOTHING can touch the taste of our own lamb. Our ewes are half Katahdin, half Dorper, the lambs were out of a Katahdin ram. There was no gamy taste. It was stronger than beef, but it didn't have that tough old buck venison taste. I've butchered out bucks (deer, not goats LOL) that were so gamy, the meat even stunk. I made sausage out of it. That is the taste (to me) of gamy lamb. That, or an old feral boar hog-just real strong. Our lamb was outstanding. Soooooo worth it! I am pleased with all our work and efforts and hope to have repeat customers, plus grow my customer list by word of mouth.

Now we have a Dorper ram and I'm quite sure that I have 4 pregnant ewes. I could have lambs by December or January! Tomorrow, the 2 ewe lambs that I'm keeping, will be added to the flock. I can't wait for more lambs!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I could never process my own lambs as I get too attached :hide they are just so fuzzy you know?

Congrats on your first taste of lamb, it must be great to process your meat and to actually know where it is coming from and how the animals were treated. Our hogs are going to slaughter next summer, now THAT I am looking forward too :drool

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I eat goat, a lot of goat. Last year I butchered 5 of them and had two of three of them ground and we mix it with ground beef or pork and use if for all things "hamburger". My DH is the cook around here and he fixes goat in some pretty delicious ways. I have also raised pork and that was pretty yummy too. Would love to have the land to raise beef.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We found sheep grown in the U.S. to be so much better than imported that it was amazing. We had a Katahdin wether (from where we train our dogs) processed last year and found it to be as mild as a Dorper/Katahdin cross lamb was. I doubt I will process a lamb again but will wait another five months and get more of that tasty mutton. :)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally your work has paided off.

I like both goat and sheep but nothing better than deer, to me. I love growing our own food and knowing how it is treated, fed, etc.

We are going to have bear meat for dinner tomorrow night.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
How do you cook bear? Is it steaks, or roasts, or ground??? That's one meat that I've never had!

Reactions: TAH