1st Taste of Our Own Lamb!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh Bruce, you hit the nail on the head with that mint comment... I despise that on a good piece of lamb. I love medium rare leg of lamb with natural gravy made from the juices. I've never had a roast of lamb smell bad. I have also had mutton, and though it had a slightly stronger flavor, I didn't find it "gamey" or nasty in any way. It was a little "tougher" but still delish! I've never had moose but have heard it's very tasty. I've found that I pretty much love all large wild animals. They all taste Delicious! I cooked up a caribou roast in a crock pot before moving. It had been in the freezer for way too long and it was very dry and grainy, but that may have been due to its age. My mistake as I forgot it was there. :(

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you see the bear carcass all skinned out it looks almost human... seriously. Bear meat can be stringy and gamey and mostly is like pork. Late is the season it can be pretty greasy. They do make rather nice rugs though.

I still say a bear looks too much like a dog in the face to eat :eek:

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did my research before settling on hair sheep. I liked the fact that they shed their winter wool in the spring/summer. I read that their meat was mild compared to wool breeds because there is less lanolin that wool breeds. It just made sense to me to go with a lower maintenance breed of sheep. It was a good decision for us!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a good reason! If you can't get anything for the wool and it would cost to get the animals sheared, why not choose a breed that will do it for you?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My 4 original ewes are growing big bellies and starting to bag up their udders. I figure lambs in December. I just put the two keeper ewes in the flock. Sheep math! LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
With 8 acres, it can't get too big, LOL. But yes, I will keep ewe lambs that show promise of making nice ewes. One of the 3 we took to slaughter was a ewe, she just didn't grow off like I wanted. I can breed the keeper ewes back to their ram daddy, but I wouldn't keep any of their ewes for breeding.