1st time owner - bottle baby

WingAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all,
New here and to backyard anything...my family will be getting 2 Nigerian dwarf wethers soon. The breeder asked if we'd be interested in a bottle baby - in case mom rejects baby or otherwise.

I've been researching but not sure if this would be too much of a commitment since I'm a first time goat owner...I've never even owned a dog either (cats, yes). Will a bottle baby be too much to handle? I two human kids; 5 and 4. 8 chickens (month old) and will be adding 13 chicks in July.

Thanks in advance!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bottle babies aren't really hard if you have the time to spend feeding them 3-4 times a day. You are getting a small goat so they need to be fed smaller amounts more often. I don't have any experience with the nigs but when I bottle raise standard goats I don't do any middle of the night feedings, I feed about 9 at night and then about 9 in the morning and once or twice during the day. They take the bottles really quickly and it is pretty easy. Just make sure you clean the bottles in between. I use plastic Pepsi bottles and the pritchard nipples to start and then transition to caprine nipples as they get bigger.

Here is another post about bottling raising a goat.
http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/bottle-feeding-help-needed-please.32886/page-2

It is fun and the baby goats will get very attached to you. It really doesn't take much time if you are home during the day. When I had to do it and work I used a Lambar bucket and would put the milk in the bucket with a frozen bottle of water to keep it cold and the kids would self feed.

WingAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks babsbag so much for the info, it does put me at ease. I'll have the time to commit to multiple feedings as I'm a stay at home mom and the human kids will be on summer break.

I think I got a little overwhelmed reading different things about possibly overfeeding and other's concerns with replacer or cow's milk.

I'll check out that thread also. And I'm very impressed with your bucket bottle!

WingAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks @Ponker, I'm a long time lurker so I've read that post over and over lol. I'm just really in my own head and didn't want to dive into something I couldn't handle then not be able to provide the appropriate care.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know what you're saying! I have books and books about the care and diagnosing diseases of sheep. And thankfully, I've met some wonderful people here who are kind enough to help me if I have questions. I think I'd lay awake at night worrying if I weren't so completely exhausted. I've acquired a few books about goats and now pigs. It sure is a wonderful life. Even with the worry.

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've actually bottle raised a Nigerian, lamancha, and Pygmy bottle babies all at the same time!! And that was the first time I ever bottle raised. If your are able to be there so they can get there feedings you should be ok. I attended school and raised all three :hide trust me it was a lot of work. But one baby shouldn't be as much work. I have a schedule that I followed for all three even thought it was for Nigerians I just changed the amount for my lamancha. I never did feedings at night. I'll have to find my schedule and post it, it's really easy to understand. Also if you are not able to get goats milk, I used whole cows milk and added a little buttermilk to mine.

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is what I followed for my bottle babies. You can always change it for your and your babies needs. I changed the times so they got there bottle when I first woke up.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    503 KB · Views: 113

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The first time I had to bottle feed I scared myself to death thinking I might over feed or mess something else up. It was much easier than I thought. Mine were Dwarf Nigerians. I only had to feed them in the middle of the night for like three nights(maybe two) then they were fine with a late feeding and an early feeding. I happen to use regular baby bottles bought from the dollar store. The cheaper nipples work the best. I have not had a problem with getting them to take the bottle. I have since bottle fed quite a few. Last year we had 6 on bottles. My daughter & son in law helped me at feeding time. I didn't have a Lambar bucket. Nor was I planning on feeding that many bottle babies at the same time. Yup, it was one of those trips to pick up one baby and came home with five extra...lol. Loved the experience though.

Good luck with your new goats(when they arrive) regardless of bottle feeding or not your going to fall in love and become and addict(goats that is).

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I am terrified of bottle feeding thanks to rabbits and their darn touchy systems. My logical side KNOWS they are much different but my mind freaks myself out and I am afraid I will mess it up. Even though I have success with bottle raising rabbits, squirrels and kittens.

All the research I have done and people I have talked to say it is just fine and that It is hard to mess it up. You should do just fine :)