1st Time Potbelly Pig Momma and 1st Time Mother (Pig)

countrygal07

Just born
Reaction score
Hello I'm a 16 year old girl from Texas and I've been around pigs all my life but it's my first time raising them. I got two potbellies for my birthday a year ago (one male and the other a female), both a different times. They do share a pen so I'm positive she's pregnant. What I'm not positive if is how far along is she. Her name is Sundae she is about 1 year old and 3 months. I will upload photos when possible

countrygal07

Just born
Reaction score
20180626_112809.jpg

Attachments

• 20180626_112809.jpg
    20180626_112809.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 251

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey its nice to see another person my age around here lol. So with farrowing, you will start seeing milk closer to when she actually farrows. For my sow she had milk about a week before she actually farrowed. However every animal is different, my sow is a large breed so from what I have heard smaller hogs such as your potbelly bag up closer to birth but again every animal is different. At first it was just little itty bits but by her due date her bag was so full you could have milked her like a goat. I was told that if milk squirts in your face when you pull the teat she is close. Also nesting behaviors and such, as mentioned above provide her with plenty of materials. If my sow hadnt built the nest she had she most likely would have lost her first baby as the contraction startled her and she rolled on her side but thankfully she had put enough straw that he didn't get crushed. She may also get more aggravated as well as aggressive towards you as she gets closer to farrowing. I get the vibe that you are close with your girl so just red her body language and stay safe. Make sure once she has them you are careful if you will be handling the babes and such. Although I have a different breed of pig this thread from when my gilt farrowed this march may help you. The babies arrived on page 11, but before that you can see progress pictures. https://www.backyardherds.com/threa...ets-babies-are-here.37163/page-20#post-552536

countrygal07

Just born
Reaction score
How nice that we're the same age ! But yes we've had some false alarms before but now that she's pregnant I'm over the moon! I'm constantly checking on her and this Saturday we're moving here away from the male (who btw is called Nuggets). I think I've read yours but just in case I'll read it. I plan to be there during labor but with with my luck it'll be in the night. Can you tell how far along she is ? I don't have the $ for a vet and when I touch her belly I swear I feel kicking. We do have a close bond, she lets me near her belly and lays down her side so I can scratch her.

countrygal07

Just born
Reaction score
So quick update:
I've checked her teats and no milk has come out. Does that mean it's still to early for to give birth ?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
It means you still have time to prep and all that jazz

countrygal07

Just born
Reaction score
So my Sundae hasn't had much difference...just a bit bigger :lol:. Poor baby is just done with being extra heavy in the Texan heat .