1stHoof Trimming Success & Question

BetterHensandGardens

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We successfully used the orange handled hoof shears from Jeffers for the 1st time tonight, and Tinkerbell and Honey have nicely trimmed hooves again.

Funny thing was, they didn't want to stand and have their hooves trimmed, but wanted to sit in my lap while having their hooves trimmed. They were raised the first 4 months by kids for 4H, so that's how they must have had their hooves trimmed in the past.

The way they sat and snuggled up, I bet they've been missing laptime with the kids. I learned that we have some very affectionate goats; however, even if they are Nigis, they are getting kind of big for my lap!

Yep, the girls already have me twisted around their little hooves. :love Is it common to trim goats hooves while they're sitting in your lap - at least while they're little? The only hooves I've dealt with before were horse hooves, so I was approaching it from that perspective.

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just had someone over to trim my goats' hooves. With the babies, the husband held them in his lap while the wife trimmed them. With the adult doe, he had to hold her by the horns & straddle her while the wife trimmed them.
I have to get a milking stand built so I can get them all used to standing up there and having things done whether it's milking, trimming or giving shots.
Even though I have ND's, I don't want them being full-grown and trying to sit in my lap--I had a 100 lb dog that grew up thinking she was a lap dog...

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:lol: Thats great!! Whatever works!! As long as thier content and happy. Makes your job all the easier!! I have a lap goat too..except shes 80lbs at 5mos...gonna be fun when shes full grown...:ep

When I work on them as long as they dont put themselves in harms way is all that matters to me...and if all else fails...feed em grain..its amazing what I can do to mine when they have a mouthfull of grain their chompin on!! I think its sweet though... :love