2-3 week old bottle Pygmy kid isn't playing or jumping around

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
yesterday I bought a 2-3week old Pygmy kid. He was taken from his mom a week ago and was started on whole milk bottle feeding. He is so adorable and loves cuddling soooo much. But that seems to be all he's doing. He just sits with me or sleeps on me since I got him. If I get up he'll yell for me and eventually he'll get up to find me. The woman I got him from said he's almost 3 weeks old and she said he nibbles and eats a small amount of hay and has had some interest in pellets. She also said she was feeding him the bottle only 2 times a day. He is worrying me because he hasn't been spunky or playful. He has a slight runny nose he gets eye crusties. He grinds his teeth a lot. I also noticed if you touch him just right on his lower back he'll sqwat almost like it hurts. He walks good and isn't wobbly but he is clumsy sometimes. He pees good but he has only pooped once since 5pm yesterday. He also gets these hiccup burp episodes. He's only done it twice but it lasts like a minute and it's about 5 hiccups/burps in that minute. I just have a feeling something isn't right because he literally spends most of his time on me sleeping or just sitting. He isn't raising hell like I though he would be. Am I just over thinking this? Should I just wait to see if he's just tuckered out or sad from missing his family and just being new to all these places. Ugh. I feel like an over protective mother. Help!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 204

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grinding teeth is a sign of pain. If he was my baby I'd be at the vet.

Good luck with your boy. He is adorable.

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I haven't but I will now. I've never had to do it before.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something is definitely is wrong.

Have you taken his temp? When he has these episodes, does it sound like he aspirated on some of the milk and he is trying to get it out? Does he have water available at all times?

Like @animalmom said, the teeth grinding means he is in pain. Is he hunched up when he is standing?

I personally wouldn't wait around. I would get that baby to the vet asap. Make sure it is a vet that knows goats.

Keep us updated on the little guy! I hope you find the issue.

Welcome to BYH :frow

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We just took his temp and it's 101.9. I don't think he aspirated on the milk. It's doesn't even really sound like a burp. It looked like he has hiccups. And he hasn't done it since early this morning. We have water for the dogs down but he hasn't gone near it. He looks like he walks around normal. I think he wasn't fed as much as he should have been with the lady that had him. She only fed him milk trice a day. And isn't he supposed to be fed around 4 times a day?

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Some photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 192

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He just pooped and it is normal. I gave him more of his bottle and put some pedialyte in it. He's walking around and trying to headbutt the dogs now. He's looking happier.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @savanna from the front range in Colorado :frow Your little guy is a cutie! Like the others have said, it might be a good idea to have him looked at by a vet (that KNOWS goats!). Since you just got him (yesterday), he may have some system stress. The trouble is baby goats can go down hill so fast... I hope everything is OK with him. Will he have a goat partner to be a companion? Hope you'll let us know how things go! Welcome!

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

This is the bottle feeding schedule I have followed. Check his weight. between 5lbs & &lbs she should be drinking 4-5 oz. For each feeding. good luck.

FREQUENCY OF BOTTLE FEEDING BABY GOATS

NUMBER of FEEDINGS

GRAIN/HAY

> 1 week

Feed every 2-4 hours as needed

——–

1-2 weeks

Feed every 4 hours
(can go 6 hours without feeding during the night)

Hay &/or grass should be available at all times from here on

2-3 weeks

Feed every 5 hours
(can go 8 hours without feeding during the night)

Start offering grain twice a day from here on along with hay or grass

4-5 weeks

Feed 4 times a day
(breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime)

same as above

5-6 weeks

Feed 3 times a day
(breakfast, lunch & dinner)

same as above

7-9 weeks

Feed 2 times a day

same as above

10 weeks until weaned

Feed 1 bottle a day, gradually cutting back the amount of milk given each day. Should only take 1 week to be completely weaned. Note: Kids will still want a bottle, but they don’t need a bottle.

Should be eating plenty of grass and hay by now. Continue offering grain each day.

Latest posts