2-3 week old bottle Pygmy kid isn't playing or jumping around

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He is doing a lot better since my first post. That's what makes me iffy on taking him to a vet. He's going to the bathroom like he should. He's eats a little bit of hay. Tiny bit of grain. He's moving around a lot more. He's jumping up and down off the couch now. He's only eating about 8-9 oz of milk though.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
x2 on the above--I don't mean to sound harsh and hope it doesn't read that way. Just would hate for you to have this take a bad turn.

I am wondering if he is actually older than 2-3 weeks. My bottle kids don't really eat hay or grain until much older. My dam raised kids will start to nibble a tiny bite here and there because they see mom do it.

At 2-3 weeks old, I would say that he should be getting between 12 minimum oz of milk per day, probably more like 18-24 oz. My bottle feeding schedule is a bit different from what was offered before. Here is a excerpt from notes I give out with all new purchases:
For the first few weeks, we give them a 4-8 ounce bottle 3 times per day, spacing out the feedings as best as we can (usually before leaving for work at 6, when we get home at 3, and then before bed at 8). We gradually increase the amount to match what the kid will drink, but never offer more than 12 ounces per feeding (too much milk can cause diarrhea as can making any diet changes too quickly). **Miniature breeds drink less than standard sizes**

We begin to offer hay and goat feed at one week, encouraging them to try it. By three weeks we like to see them start nibbling at it on their own. Bottle raised kids usually take longer to eat solids than dam raised kids so offer it in small quantities but don't fret if they don't do much with it right away.

At week 7, we assess the kid's weight, size, and how well they seem to be eating hay/feed and drinking water. If they eat and drink well and have tripled their birth weight, we begin weaning by cutting back to 2 feedings a day and increasing their hay and feed a little to compensate.

At week 8, if cutting back to 2 bottles went well and the kids are eating the increased amount of hay and feed, we cut back to one bottle per day for the week and then quit bottles at the end of the week. They may cry and put up a fuss and yell for you to bring them a bottle, but if you are sure they are ready for weaning, do not give in.

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Turns out he has biting lice. Would diatomeseus earth work for that? And can dogs and people get the biting lice? Ive read people saying yes and no. What do you guys think?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think the DE would work and I would be worried about using a poultry dust on a kid so young. We treated an adult buck for lice with an injection of Ivermectin but it is used off label, not labeled for use in goats. I am not sure how I would treat it, I would have to ask a vet. Hopefully someone else on here can help.

Lice are usually species specific. The lice may get on the other animals but won't stay.

Are you getting your little guy a friend? Goats are herd animals and they really need a buddy.

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He is getting a buddy in a couple months. We're getting one from someone when her goat has them. So far he's being great. He's eaten about 11oz as of now. So he's getting back on track. He seems to be normal right now other then just wanting to sit and sleep on me. He's taking his bottle on his own now. When I put him down he'll stand in front of our heater for a little while then run over to me and jump into my lap. He pees on his papers. He has a few accidents but otherwise he's progressing good. The only thing that hasn't changed is that he just wants to cuddle. He doesn't want to go crazy and play. Could he just be an odd boy that prefers cuddles over crazy time? He does love to head butt our dogs though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 109

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he has lice he may be anemic which would make him tired. Check the inside of his lower eyelid and see if they are nice and pink. I haven't met a goat yet that is quiet all of the time, but then mine all have other goats to play with, maybe that makes a difference.

savanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He isn't anemic. I checked his eyelids and his gums and both are pink. We have three dogs and they have tried to play with him and he just isn't interested. He will jump and try to head butt them.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Pearce Pastures, glad you offered another bottle feeding schedule. I like you have never seen a goat that only wanted to cuddle, but I also had at least two little ones at the same time. Hope all goes well with this little guy. Sorry he has to wait for a play mate, but sometimes that is the way it goes.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@savanna, I'm thrilled to hear your little guy is doing better. Sounds like he's had a rough row to hoe so far in his little life. It would be great to hear that he is bouncing off the walls, so I'll stay tuned and be patient. I do hope he continues to improve. I've not had a goatie that young with lice, so I can't offer any advise on that. Maybe you could flea comb him, or would the lice be too small?

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@savanna , you can try kitten flea powder, dust him good with it, avoiding eyes and don't let him breath it in. would have to be done again in a week. I use it on my goats and it works great.

Latest posts