2 Bad-Mannered Sisters

pemquail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi there! I am new to goat ownership but grew up on a sheep farm, so not terribly green but in need of advice. About 3 weeks ago, I bought two 5-month old Nigerian Dwarf sisters and brought them home to our acreage. They had been allowed to roam the property of their previous residence and weren't fenced in. When we arrived, I noticed they were allowed to jump all over patio furniture, flower beds, etc.

Now that they're at our house, fenced in with a cozy shelter and tons of pasture, their behavior is getting worse! They tug and nibble at our clothes and hair. They zoom past us and knock us over. When we first brought them home they seemed more timid and sweet. Now, they're jumping all over us when we enter their enclosure, like poorly-trained dogs. I bought them to eventually breed and milk, and with their rambunctiousness, there's just no way.

How do I discipline while maintaining their friendliness? They are sweet girls, but with awful manners.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get a spray bottle and put water in it. When they are obnoxious and trying to jump on you - spray 'em in the face with the water. They hate it and they should learn to respect it pretty quickly. Have fun!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remember -- they are still babies, it's normal. Some corrections and they'll be fine. I'd also suggest you begin the tie them, while you're there with them, for short periods, to teach them that. Work into being fed on a milk stand, handle their sides, belly, udder area. They'll calm down -- don't panic.

Congrats on the new rambunctious kids. :lol:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I treated our goats like my human children.

Bad behavior was redirected, ignored, or set up so it was difficult to be bad.

Good behavior was hugely and immediately rewarded.

They are incredibly smart creatures and will learn quickly. So, if you put up with them being obnoxious... that is what they will be.

The second they stand still give them a tiny treat. When they try to bounce all over you, try to make that action harder. So, like with a dog, try to get your knee up to push them back, or use the spray bottle as previously mentioned to squirt them.

Do realize that a bunch of "no" said to them might be heard by THEM, as "oh, I should continue". One firm and growling "stop" is usually more effective. Don't forget the importance of tone, body posture, and ignoring them/not reacting. Often, like naughty human children, they think any attention, even negative attention, is great.

This is why rewarding good behavior is incredibly important.

pemquail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes! They have learned if they stand patiently behind the gate, Mama will come give them deep scritches and pets in their winter coats, and when she's feeding the quail, they should not eat her hair or her pockets. :)

Latest posts