2 Day old kid-NOT DOING WELL

SLC1013

Just born
Reaction score
I had a doe go into labor at 3am night before last. She had 3 good looking kids. 2 were up and going within minutes but the 3 one she didn’t clean hardly at all and left it wet and cold. I took it in house cleaned him off and warmed him up. Tried to milk some colostrum but only got a minuscule amount. I got him to take the little colostrum I got from an eye dropper and by mid morning he was standing and wanted to eat. I gave whole cows milk as that’s what I’ve read is a good substitute. He seemed to be doing great and was up walking and eating from bottle great by last night. Then over night he went down hill very quick. I noticed he did pee several times but had not seen a speck of poop. Last night he pooped finally. There was a good amount but he is just so weak and won’t eat. I think he was cold so I’ve been keeping him wrapped in warm blankets and gave lamb and kid paste for second time since birth. I don’t have access to our feed store at the moment so couldn’t get any other medicine or supplements. Please let me know what might be going on and what I can do to help. I’m continuing to try to give sugar water and also trying to give bottle but he won’t open mouth and seems to weak to do anything. Just sleep. I need any advice you can give me. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you all.

SLC1013

Just born
Reaction score
No we have never had an issue with selenium here but I guess that doesn’t mean anything. This is only her second kidding. Haven’t taken temp but I will now. He seems warm now but is getting weaker my the minute. Won’t lift head just laying on his side.

SLC1013

Just born
Reaction score
We do keep two kinds of mineral blocks in their pen at all times. Can’t remember what all is in them at the moment but they were recommended by feed store. I’m worried he may be having seizures he keeps thrashing his legs stiffly.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had kids go down because a lack of selenium i just give it now regularly to pregnant does and to kids. Generally if they to cold they won't eat. And if he stiffing i am not sure what to do i have only four or five years now with goats so I am not the most experienced. You can only do the best you can with the knowledge you have.

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
TemperatureIF you have an issue – [Measure] temp first and if the baby is under 100° F you need to get it warmed immediately. Get it in a warm bath wither put inside a trash bag with its head out or just submerge in very warm water 103-105*. Do NOT feed the baby until temp is over 100° F.

Latest posts