2 day old Nigerian Dwarf doe with bloody stool

MAAA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a bottle baby ND doeling that has bloody stool. Started out normal yellow. Went to orange, and is now orange with dribbles of blood. It does not smell bad. It smells like normal baby poop. She cries like she's in pain every time she goes potty even though her stool is not hard. She does not have a fever and no congestion of any kind.

So about a month ago I noticed that one of my Nigerian does was looking a little rounder than usual and honestly assumed that she had been hogging the feed. Well jump forward to 2 days ago and she has one BIG doeling. She was not supposed to be pregnant so I did not give her a CD&T shot a month ago. I have always thought it was passed to the kid by colostrum but I just read somewhere today that that isn't the case??

She totally rejected the baby (she was actually in the process of vigorously butting the kid when I first discovered all this) so baby is now being bottle fed. I don't think she nursed at all because she was still wet and barely standing up when I found them. Momma would NOT let me milk her (she is not tame) so I had to buy powdered colostrum. (Really don't like the stuff but I don't have another lactating doe😭)

I've read so many things today about when to give CD&T. Some say a month, others say a week, some say two months. This may not even be because of the lack of CD&T. I don't know what to believe and I feel like I have failed as a goat momma.

Baby Bunty has been doing fine up till this morning when the painful bloody poops started. She still has an appetite and has already been bouncing around and doing her tap dance routine. She just took her bottle and scarfed it down. It was the first bottle she's had that had store bought goat milk mixed in with the colostrum mix.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow... I am stumped...

Infection should have a fever....

Maybe delayed injury from the butting from mom?

Do you have a friendly vet that you can call?

MAAA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow... I am stumped...

Infection should have a fever....

Maybe delayed injury from the butting from mom?

Do you have a friendly vet that you can call?
Unfortunately the vets around here don't know much about goats. The only one we used to call has retired and changed their number. 😅 I don't really blame them.

I thought about the butting thing. It's just that she's so active and otherwise is acting normal so far. If she were injured internally I would have thought she would at least have more trouble moving around.