2 goats - same/different disease(s)?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Someone on Backyard Chickens just tipped me off that Valley Vet has the 250ml bottles of antitoxin in stock. I've ordered some, but it may be too late at this point. (?)

My goat is still unable to stand - it's like she's paralyzed from the neck down, but she can move all 4 legs and her tail, and she's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping just fine. I took her to the vet school's large animal clinic ER immediately, but they could find NOTHING wrong. Her metabolic labs are all fine and reflexes check out okay. They suggested thiamine injections and penicillin for a week, which I have been doing. (I'd had her on probiotic paste and B-complex paste for the previous week, though, and they have free access to goat minerals.) But those don't seem to be working at all.

The guy I saw Sunday was a horse vet, but yesterday I was able to talk to the clinic's goat vet. I told him I suspected it might be the encephalitic presentation of CAE (since the other goat she came with is positive), but he said he's never seen a case and dismissed the idea. He prescribed meloxicam, which I started yesterday, but so far there's no change whatsoever from a week ago. She's happy and eating, but I'm worried that being down so long is going to snowball...
Oh. Good. Grief.

I hate paying good money for a vet visit, and getting NOTHING useful!!! :barnie

Super sucks, sorry! :hugs

Latest posts