1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Let's start this week fun. Submit your Horse Humor - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

2 issues: sunburned udder & kid with runny nose

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by michickenwrangler, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Jun 23, 2013
    michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler Loving the herd life

I had my neighbor's goats sorta thrust upon me, so my herd almost tripled in size over a few days.

My dairy does have a south-facing run. With the addition of more goats, they couldn't all fit in the shed. So DBF made a "goat-zebo" of a tarp and t-posts to add shade to their run. Well, one doe with HUGE udders (seriously, it's like she's got 2 icebox watermelons) has been napping in the sun. Her udders are so huge that they lay beside her. Exposed to the sun, they are now sunburnt. Can I put sunblock on her udder? What can I do to relieve the pain? Don't have any aloe vera. Would an oatmeal poultice do her some good? It's supposed to be cloudy and rainy today.

Also, one of my little wethers has a runny nose. He's eating and seems ok (little lethargic, but it was 90 degrees and high humidity yesterday) otherwise. Never had a goat virus before, so not quite sure what to do.

2. Jun 23, 2013
    elevan

elevan Critter Addict ♥ Moderator Moderator

Sounds weird but here are the 2 things that I do for sunburn:
    1. Milk
    2. Egg whites
    Milk would probably work best for your goat as far as alleviating the burn which in turn eases the pain. Dip a cloth in cool milk and hold it onto the udder until it warms and repeat.

I don't know about putting sunblock on her udder... :/

What color is the runny nose snot?
    If it's clear then don't worry about it.

3. Jun 23, 2013
    michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler Loving the herd life

Whitish-clear. He had it this morning, but his nose was dry this evening when I did chores.

I will try the milk. Thanks.