2 month old lamb with scours

gcarmack2001

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So much wonderful advice! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! We have not changed the food and the hay is not moldy. We do give them grain specially for sheep/lambs.
I got a fecal sample ready to take to the vet and then found out they need fresh,moist and about a tablespoon ... how do you do that with diarrhea?Anyway .. I will continue to work on gathering the sample!
On top of this issue I am concerned that the ewe is not allowing the lambs to feed( another potential issue??) It is very difficult to get close to her as she as always been easily frightened but i will also continue to get a milk sample. I am going to give the smallest one with the worst scours a milk replacer with kefir. for a few more days... I have also not seen him drink water so i will also be giving him multi species electrolyes supplement. I will be back in touch soon.

I also want to say that if an animal has been having diarrhea long enough, parasites might not appear on a fecal even if they're loaded with them. I have a feeling it's coccidia by the way it's spreading to the rest of your lambs.
I googled the normal temperature for a sheep and it's 100.9-103.8, so it's normal, indicating no infection or stomach problems. I'd collect a fecal from one with diarrhea and also one from another that isn't having diarrhea but is showing symptoms.
If coccidia is the problem don't try stopping the diarrhea. Diarrhea is a way for toxins to leave the body, so having diarrhea helps the coccidia leave the body faster. If they continue having diarrhea several days after treatments are over I'd suspect something else might be going on, like barber pole worms.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Take a container... you could use a ziplock for regular poop pellets, but not for diarrhea... And hold it tight to the lambs butt below the anus. Gently insert a finger to break the sphincter open and you should be properly rewarded. :sick

Heather gray

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update on our lamb.. I was able to get a glob of a fecal sample and yes he does have coccidia. So a huge thanks to everyone who suggested this and recommended giving him Corid just in case!!. I was going to buy Corid from the vets office just to establish myself there however the gal. jug was 145.00... where the powdered Corid at TSC was 15.00. My big question is how much do I give him ? It shows nothing about dose on the powered packaging!! Momma is still very full yest I have not seen the babes drinking... her utters at now hot and we did get close enough to her to make sure here milk is free flowing but was not able to get a sample. Thats next.... Thanks in advance!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is for a calf but it is what I would use on a goat so should work for your lamb. And I would treat all of the lambs.

CORID drench solutions may be stored in a clean, closed, labeled container for up to 3 days.

5-DAY TREATMENT: Add 3 oz CORID 20% Soluble Powder to 1 qt (32 fl oz) of water and, with a dose syringe, give 1 fl oz of this solution for each 100 lb (45 kg) body weight. This will provide a dose of approximately 10 mg amprolium/kg (2.2 lb) body weight. Give daily for 5 days. Treatment should be on a herd basis only; when one or more calves show signs of coccidiosis, it is likely that the rest of the group has been exposed, and all calves in the group should be treated.

Heather gray

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I used the Corid for 5 days and the small ram still has scours. He has been off it for two days but I'm thinking I should put him back on Corid. Any thoughts on this ??Just a reminder that his fecal sample did show that he has coccidia. I have still been given him a 1/2 bottle of kefir/whole milk in the Pm as he looks forward to it but maybe I should give him Lamb replacement milk instead because possibly the whole milk is too rich? We have been very lucky in the past with our lambs ... and this just shows how much more I need to learn about animal husbandry. I am so very grateful that this forum is here!! PS all the other lambs are regular with no apparent problems.

Latest posts