2 questions about weight and hair

ShadyTreeAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First off, here is a pic of my Aryas muzzle. It seems like she's losing some hair on it, any thoughts as to why? If I compare to a pic from a few weeks ago it wasn't like this.

4CC2247F-6730-4B6E-ABCD-B1691A0936DB_zpsnzt1kjli.jpg

Secondly, here is an overhead picture. Does she look overweight? She weighed in at 15lbs yesterday, she's about 15 weeks old.

55D94E2B-F1C9-4954-9762-8DE0FEC3D710_zpss4fwl011.jpg

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is she eating from a hay feeder?mine all get "hay nose" this time of year because they're not out browsing and here just eating hay.

ShadyTreeAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
P
Is she eating from a hay feeder?mine all get "hay nose" this time of year because they're not out browsing and here just eating hay.

Just hay at this point in her crate. I still have her separated from the adults until this weekend.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Defiantly looks like it is just getting rubbed off from a feeder. Ours all get it to and at the back of the neck from the feeder we used to have where they stuck their head all the way in.

As far as weight this time of year they get really fluffy with winter hair and it can make them look deceivingly fast when in fact they could still be underweight. Best check i found is feeling the spine. The spine should be a pointed mound with with fat and muscle making slopes off of it, at proper weight it should feel nicely smooth from ribs to spine and over the other side. If the spine sticks out a lot and is very pointy with steep sides they are underweight. The spine is flat with the back fat then they are overweight typically(this is not a bad thing in adult diary goats that will produce for extended time).

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking at the pics again she looks like she might actually be underweight. Can you get us a good side profile?

The "fat" look is her rumen and it can look really any size without being related to their actual weight.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would agree that she is rubbing her nose on something. Mine all look like that from the hay feeder too.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to tell her body condition in the pic. You need to feel the spine and ribs, tell us what you feel and go from there.

Never judge body condition by the belly only. I've seen goats that were emaciated but the owner didn't realize because the goat had a big belly.

You say her hay is in a crate, when she eats does her muzzle rub against anything?
It looks like she has some balding around the eyes, the hair loss could be from lice/mites or from rubbing it on a feeder while eating.