1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

2 separate piles of kits in nest box

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning and Raising Young Rabbits' started by Stina, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Jun 4, 2019
    Stina

Stina Overrun with beasties

Is it normal for there to be a bunch of kits (6) at the back of the nest box & (3) at the front of the box? They are 2 days old. & this happened for the past 2 days so far....all are warm & wiggling (actually flopping around). A couple seem skinny but they are very active.

AmberLops likes this.
  2. Jun 4, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

How old are they?
    It could be that they're too warm. When it's hot outside and they have tons of fur in the nest they will usually spread out to cool off.
    I always put the kits back together when they're separated, just to be sure they all get fed :)

Ridgetop, B&B Happy goats and Stina like this.
  3. Jun 4, 2019
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady Herd Master

The kits move around in the box so much, especially when the weather is warm, that they often wind up in different groups. During cool weather, it's pretty important that they be together to keep each other warm, but as long as they are all getting fed, I don't worry about it during warm weather.

4. Jun 4, 2019
    Stina

They’re 3 days old today. Yes I suppose that the warm weather is the reason. It’s been around 83 degrees the past couple of days.

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  5. Jun 4, 2019
    Stina

I was just worried that because she has 9 kits, they wouldn’t get fed if they were is different spots of the nest box. After work I will check them again to make sure all are alive.

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  6. Jun 5, 2019
    Stina

The 3 biggest kits are overly fat & the other 6 are thin. I’m assuming it’s time to start bottle feeding

AmberLops likes this.
  7. Jun 5, 2019
    AmberLops

Do you have another doe with a litter around the same age? Putting them in with another doe to foster them is their best bet. If you've never bottle-fed kits before...just be forewarned....it's very rare for kits to survive being bottlefed. And you would need to give them cecotropes from their mom or another healthy rabbit so the kits GI systems work properly. There was a member on here a few days ago who bottlefed an entire litter and at 3 weeks they started developing GI issues...she put them in with other babies so the kits could eat some cecotropes and last I heard, they were doing better :)

Ridgetop, Stina and B&B Happy goats like this.
  8. Jun 5, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

Maybe pull the 3 fat ones out part of the day, to allow others to be fed. Or out at one feeding every other day?

I don't raise rabbits -- I'm just thinking how to limit their intake and increase thin ones.

Stina, AmberLops and B&B Happy goats like this.
  9. Jun 9, 2019
    Stina

I tried taking the 3 big ones out so she could feed the other 6 but that didn’t work & I didn’t want to loose the whole litter so I just put them back. Over the past 2 days, I’ve noticed they are all with full belly’s, even the runt! so I’m not bottle feeding them anymore, but I do feel that the little that I did, helped the 6 hold on. Today they are 1 week old. Big milestone in my eyes, kind of a sigh of relief. I hope things keep going good. Thanks for all of the advice friends

10. Jun 9, 2019
    AmberLops

Yay! I'm glad it's working out and that the babies are doing well! :)

Stina and B&B Happy goats like this.