2 Week Old Baby Goat Trouble- Second Kid Down : ( - Help Please

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I have a 15 day old ND dwarf doe that is not doing so well. She was part of a set of quads and I had tried supplementing her and a sibling with a bottle sometime last week or in the first week of life. I don't think they even got much milk in them. On the 23rd, something didn't seem right with her and I wondered if she was constipated but saw her nursing her dam so let it be. I did try to give her a bottle that day and maybe got in an ounce or two. On the 24th, she was still off so I gave her an enema, which brought out a lot of feces. I started giving her 2-3 cc's milk of magnesia that day. When I put her back with her dam, the dam wanted nothing to do with her. She nipped her, refused to let her nurse, and ran away from her, which is understandable since she didn't recognize her kid. The next morning, the dam seemed okay with her, but the little one was hunched. I did do another enema that day and got more feces out. I took the kid off her dam that night ( still the 24th) and had been trying to bottle feed ( I used whole cow's milk w/baking soda and I use the pritchard nipple). She was being very stubborn (understandable) and I couldn't get her to suck at all. Yesterday (the 25th), I tried putting honey on my finger and then in her mouth; she sucked some, but when I put it on the nipple and then in her mouth, nothing. Later, I tried molasses, which she seemed to like better. She had bowel movements twice by herself yesterday morning and then nothing till the evening when I did another enema and quite a bit came out. I have been giving her the milk of magnesia @ 2-3ccs two times a day. I also mixed mineral oil with it to get the bowels moving. Since the last enema, she has been having bowels all by herself. Yesterday, ( I don't recall why; a lot has happened since then. She may have been looking weaker), I took her off the milk and put her on electrolytes mixed with plain yogurt and an energy mix as I call it (molasses, baking soda, karo syrup, and salt). Because she has refused the bottle and is not sucking at all, I have been carefully and very slowly drenching her with the formula. I keep her positioned as a bottle baby should be ( head up, neck extended outward). I make sure she is swallowing.

Last night, she was getting more wobbly on her legs and was having bowels, but no urine. I haven't seen her urinate but once last night since she's had bowel movements. I took her temp last evening and it was 101.7 F. I gave her B-1 & B-12 along with Vitamin C and her energy formula. I was up with her most of the night, trying to keep her hydrated and trying to get her to stand for a little bit. Sometime last night/early morning, she started having more smelly pale yellow bowels. And then she started having whitish bowels. This morning(I hope I can explain this), she's been having some blood(not bright red; dull-colored is what I'd say) come out of her bottom. It comes out with clear, gooey stuff. It's not constant; just every now and then, like when she's having a bowel movement. She is now at the point where she can't stand. I gave her more B-vitamins at 2am & 7 am.

TEMP TIMES (starting yesterday, the 25th): (all in Fahrenheit)
7pm- 101.7
1am- 103.1
3/4 am- 104.1 ( Her tummy seemed full/ bloated, so I didn't give her anything. Then I lacked on my part and fell asleep : / I woke up at 7isham and her temp was 99.8
8:45am 99.4
10am: 101.7
11am: 100

I gave her a baking soda drench (about 1 tsp. b. soda in warm water) at 11 am.

I've been researching everything I can as far as illnesses go and I am at a loss as to what to do. One more thing: I gave her and all her siblings one maybe two mls of selenium/vitamin E gel the day they were born since two had weak legs (including this little doe) and one wasn't sucking well. All of them improved pretty well, though this little girl had to have her splint on for two to three days and seemed fine. Is she good on selenium or ?? I appreciate any advice and help. I just want this little doe to get better.

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank y'all so much for your kind words. It was a real hard hit. I really wish I could've saved her. :( She was such a sweet little girl and so patient with me. If you have any idea what it was or what I could've/ should've done different, PLEASE, please let me know. I really don't want this to happen again if I can help it. :(

2luv2farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Goodness. I am so sorry! We had one set of quads and lost one at birth (umbilical cord). It's a heart breaker! My prayers are with you. :hugs

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I brought in Pistol's brother about four days ago. For three days I tried to get him on a bottle to no avail. He had no sucking reflex. I gave him Nutri-Drench two nights ago and three hours later, he actually sucked down 2oz by himself. The next morning, he was a little chilled, so I warmed him up before trying to bottle feed him. He was back to having no sucking reflex. I gave him another Nutri-drench. Finally, yesterday, I tube-fed him one oz of milk. Then, two more times (2 oz each time) about three-and a half to four hours apart. He only had one bowel yesterday and he has not urinated since yesterday afternoon. Last evening, he also got gunk in his eye and now it is crusting over. We gently wiped it up with a damp paper towel. Now he is getting to where he is getting limp and can't stand well. I need help. What is going on with my kid? This is crazy & I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know what to do and I really don't want to lose another kid. :( It's just too heartbreaking. Thanks in advance.

2luv2farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Have you called your vet? I would consider this an emergency situation. Good luck to you! :hugs

Latest posts