2 week old buckling with scabs on his back.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all. I noticed two days ago that my little buckling Pete had a scab a on his back, around the top of his shoulder blade. Now he has more in the same area. He isn't losing hair and his skin doesn't seem dry or irritated, he just has scabs.

Nothing abnormal around his mouth or face.
He is dam raised and none of my other goats, including his mom, have any problems.

The only other thing is that I've thought he doesn't look quite as fat as I feel comfortable with so I offered him a bottle this morning and he scarfed it down. I guess I might need to supplement him.

Any thoughts on the scabs? Should I bathe him and apply some salve? I really don't think they're from an injury....

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This would be a perfect match from a LGD dog playing with goat, has your dog been around the baby?, I believe some type of accident, you can put a small amount of Iodine on it, But I am really curious as to why he drank down a bottle of milk, supplement for sure.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My LGD has only been with him under supervision, and he's extremely gentle. I still have momma and baby separated from from the rest of the herd.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mites are the first thing that come to mind.

I find mites can be fairly random.
Any way he is rubbing on something, when he is scooting under something?

No really great ideas from me. Other than when I see balding spots and scabs I think mites.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The only other thing I thought is that is the side his heat lamp is on in his warming hut. It's been sub zero here and he's spent a lot of time under it lately. But his hair is in perfect condition, not singed or anything.

Off to look up mite symptoms and treatments!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I thought of a the heat lamp, but I have always seen a singing of the hair, like you mentioned.

you can pretty much tell the difference between scabs from an injury and mites. First scabs are just going to get better in a few days and fall off. But mites are going to stay and multiply week after week. They also have a more yellowish look to them compared to scabs.
Look at the pasterns of some of your other goats, leg mites often start down at the pasterns. So check at the hoof line for any scabbing on your adult goats.