2 week old very sick calf Need advice and hope

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok here is what I am working with. We just bought a 2 week old angus/jersey heifer. She is light, way too light really. Probably not more than 100 lbs. Ok so she has scours. Took in a stool sample the next day and they said e coli. So she is on 2 shots every other day. Not sure what it is but was told its good for what she has.( one in the neck and one in the rump) She also has heavy breathing and lots of snot, the vet said the antibiotic shot she is on is one of the best for this also. I put her on electrolytes and probiotics from the first day. Vet said to do electrolytes between bottles and her bottle is half milk replacer and half electrolytes with probiotic powder.

Ok she doesn't do much at all. All she wants to do is lay down. She would eat laying down if we let her. She is in a very sheltered barn in her own stall and her own little fenced in calf lot. Right now she is napping on thick hay and has a light blanket over her. She is sneezing and snotting all over. She doesn't seem like she has all that much energy and I am worried sick. Vet says to just hold steady and keep doing what I am doing, that is the right course. Advice, shared knowledge, comforting optimism. I am worried that I won't be able to pull her through. I knew she was not 100% but I thought it was just mild scours and probably a bacteria issue just like the last one we bought from them. They are pretty poor and once over the bacteria our last one has turned into the prettiest fattest little heifer( full jersey and she looks as healthy as any other breed). What do I do. Any miracle old timer tips.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds to me like pneumonia. Draxxin would be the best antibiotic for that. One shot should do it. If your vet won't get it for you, find a different vet. Draxxin is the very BEST there is.

Also, 100 lbs is actually quite large for a Jersey cross.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with what antibiotics to use, but it does sound like pneumonia to me, too. For the scours, I wouldn't give electrolytes in between feedings, but I do yogurt mixed with warm water. The farm vet told us to give both probiotics and yogurt, as the yogurt provides a good environment for the probiotics. I also agree that it sounds like a darn big calf for the breeds!

Are the scours improving or staying the same or what? How much and often are you feeding?

TracyTooManyHorses

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I agree with the DRAXXIN. Keep her warm, keep her dry, keep her hydrated. Sunlight is a great healer...if you can set her up in a stall where she is getting light & fresh air. Often times when they are sick, they will get depressed...get her a buddy - we have an orphan who has a cat buddy as well as a 3 week old Jersey-Dexter cross calf (22 pounds at birth!); they not only keep them company but encourage them to get up & get more active! I have had GREAT luck using Pepto Bismal & Activated Charcol for my poopy babies! Jersey-Angus babies are at best usually 55 pounds, so don't worry she seems small or light!

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am not sure what the antibiotic is but if she lives till morning we will be getting her another shot. I have la200 here right now but thats all I have on hand. First thing in the morning, if she makes it, the vet is going to do something. She seemed great during the day. The scours had improved and she was a bit more active. Tonight when its bottle time she took half the bottle and then turned away and laid back down. No interest at all. So we did a 9am bottle and a 3pm bottle and then a 10:30 bottle. I don't know what more to do honestly. I left her tonight all tucked in and safe and just had to walk away saying a prayer. I don't know how much antibiotic to give her or even if what I have will do anything and if she is not eating right......I am worried. I am exhausted and feeling a touch defeated.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Definately continue the electrolytes. I personally will not give milk for 24 hours after the onset of scours, instead feeding full feedings of just electrolytes at the regular schedule.

Also consider a vit B injection for energy and appetite. Yogurt wont do you any good unless it is ACTIVE CULTURE......get one that is advertising "digestive health" and check the label for ACTIVE culture. She cant have too much yogurt, but I'd split a small tub's worth between her daily feedings.

With an E-coli infection, I REALLY do not recommend using Pepto or anything else to slow the runny poop for at least a week. Her gut is full of "cooties" and she needs to get them out, this is why the body is expelling them with diarrhea.

Be careful about having her around other calves. Pneumonia and E-coli infections can be transmitted to other animals.

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She was already isolated because we had just bought her. We like to watch them a bit before we mix from another herd, especially one we had an issue with before. We got her from the same farm that we got our Bessie girl and she came with a nasty little parasite. Past experience is probably why she got treated as quickly as she did because usually I would expect some scours from one that I had just put through the stress of moving. I just knew that the previous owner had parasite problems which is why a stool sample went to the vet less than 24 hours after we got home. Scours has gotten better.

She did make it through the night but did not want to get up this morning. My husband had to help her but once she was standing she was fine. No energy at all. She drank her entire bottle and got a good dose of probiotics, I will give her more later today. Antibiotics are great but they really mess up the gut. Her eyes are gunky and she is snotty and breathing harsh so we have a ways to go. She got the La200 this morning because thats what I have. I cannot get a call back from the vet at all. They have slowly moved from farm vet to spoiled purse pet vet. Only 2 vets are even willing to deal with us "old" customers. Not another vet around here I trust but I am going to have to find one. I do have vitamine B here but i am a bit scared to use it. All the stories of animals dying of shock, its just a bit nerve wracking but its on the table right now. Literally the vitamine B is sitting on the table waiting for me to load up a syringe for my husband.

Might call some other vets today and see if they can either come out or just get me the Draxxin.

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So far so good. The La200 seemed to help alot and once we visited the vet my mom was able to get the good antibiotics. Scours is much much improved still and she is holding steady. I would not say improved but she did not get worse despite another change in weather. She is tucked in under my lion king throw blanket in the barn. She drank her bottle happily tonight. Still doing half and half until the vet feels more sure she is over the worst of this. Think we may do a 1 quart bottle with electrolytes mid day though. She seems very very thirsty and will stay a long time at the water. If she pulls through all this she is a dang strong little heifer and she will be a onery little beauty some day. I will say my Bessie was in rough shape( same previous owner) and we pulled her through. I have got to stop buying with my emotions rather than my brain cause its ripping my heart out. Anywho much improved. Thanks for saying to just do what i gotta do and give her what I had on hand to get her through. I was too scared to make the move and it really did help her.