2010 sheep and goat education series and town hall meeting

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So last night was the first night of this "workshop". 5 counties in Indiana, 4 counties in Michigan, and 4 counties in Kentucky, all involved in Video/powerpoint/video conference workshop put on by Purdue University and Kentucky State University. It will be 4 workshops of 3 hours each followed by representitives from each site participating in a live Town Hall type meeting asking questions that have been collected from others over the 4 weeks prior. The panel is to include meat goat producers, dairy goat producers, specialty goat producers and sheep producers. Our site will have 4,3,2,1, respectively with about 50+/- attendees.
Last night Dr. Mike Neary from Purdue and Ken Andries from Kentucky State led the show. Which included Internal Parasite control, External Parasite control, and Coccidiosis Control. Alot of information was presented, some I didn't agree with and some was new. THe handout package contained at least 75 pages of current studies and data, not stuff from 2004...It would be impossible to relay all the information but I May touch on a few of the highlights...This is information for producers only...If You Keep Goats as Pets, this won't apply...should have prefaced with this....Any way just an interesting "piece of knowledge" form Ken Andries:

Goat Production Philosophy
* A cull is a cull, no matter what its papers say
* Sale barns are for selling not buying
* An inch longer is an inch heavier, an inch taller is an inch taller
* Reduce herd to fit feed supply- goats don't live by acres alone
* Long toes and parasites are best treated with a trailer
* Owning more than one goat requires a catch pen and chute
* Your ugliest doe is your best producer...or you would have already sold her

Not my words...but probably a good foundation for a herd goal sheet.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was supposed to be in attendance where Ken Andries was last night....physical locale, I mean...but I didn't get to go. Had to work late.. :(

Did you, by any chance, hear someone at Andries' locale ask a question about midwinter strategic deworming?

I ask because I may or may not have rec'd a call before hand asking what the hell it was I'd been rumenating on, which may or may not have put someone up to asking about it. :D

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
()relics said:
Goat Production Philosophy
* A cull is a cull, no matter what its papers say
* Sale barns are for selling not buying
* An inch longer is an inch heavier, an inch taller is an inch taller
* Reduce herd to fit feed supply- goats don't live by acres alone
* Long toes and parasites are best treated with a trailer
* Owning more than one goat requires a catch pen and chute
* Your ugliest doe is your best producer...or you would have already sold her
Good advise, Dr Andries is quoting Dr. Pinkerton here. Keep us informed. I wanted to participate but none of the counties near me are on the list.

You should add (these do not *always* apply to show goat producers):
*pretty doesn't pay the bills, pounds on the scale (or in the milk jug) does.
*If she only weans kids every other year it doesn't matter how nice they are. She's a CULL
*pounds at birth is meaningless, pounds at weaning is what counts.
*A cull is cull even if her pedigre says otherwise.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
I was supposed to be in attendance where Ken Andries was last night....physical locale, I mean...but I didn't get to go. Had to work late.. :(

Did you, by any chance, hear someone at Andries' locale ask a question about midwinter strategic deworming?

I ask because I may or may not have rec'd a call before hand asking what the hell it was I'd been rumenating on, which may or may not have put someone up to asking about it. :D
Are you causing trouble again CM?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jodief said:
Are you causing trouble again CM?
Who, me? Never -- I *got* the call, remember?!? :lol:

What's funny is that when the guy called me, he said (hushed tones...I can hear things happening in the background) "Hey man, they're talking about internal parasites...what the hell kind of concoction was it you were telling me about a while back?"

Me: "Which concoction?"

:lol:

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
all the questions were taken in email form only. Each site had its own Q and A session after the "live" session was over. We had a vet at our site, my vet and a boer goat breeder, that answered a few questions but anything that would benefit everyone was noted by the delegates to be emailed or addressed at the "town Hall" meeting...So we couldn't hear questions from other sites...as there would probably been hundreds, some/most of which might be common knowledge and not worth clogging the works....

Hey, Wait A Minute.... I Am A Show Goat Breeder...I guess to be more honest I have a fullblood herd that is supported by my commercial girls...

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
all the questions were taken in email form only. Each site had its own Q and A session after the "live" session was over. We had a vet at our site, my vet and a boer goat breeder, that answered a few questions but anything that would benefit everyone was noted by the delegates to be emailed or addressed at the "town Hall" meeting...So we couldn't hear questions from other sites...as there would probably been hundreds, some/most of which might be common knowledge and not worth clogging the works....
Aha.. I see.

I'm planning on going to the next one. :)

Then again, I plan on doing a lot of things I don't actually do. :/ :p

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do you know if the sessions are being recorded and will be available either online or by mail?

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would guess No, but honestly haven't heard....Possibly the findings/solutions/questions and answers presented at the final Q and A session would be printed by one of the Universities...just a guess

Latest posts