2013 Kids on HIll Kidding Aunt B is in the kidding pen, April 7th.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I had a great time last year posting all my does and sharing with everyone our kidding season in 2012. I can't help but start my 2013 kidding thread. The first 12 hopefully are due the first week of January. followed by 5 more at the end of January and then hopefully 6 more the end of March and beginning of April. It is always an adverture and if this year follows like most years, there will be some really great experiences and some not so happy moments. Hopefully the great with out weight the not so great.

Here is a link to my 2012 kidding thread, it is very long. But just incase you didn't get to see any of it, or wish to go back and compare something from this years kidding to last years kidding.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16036

Well, my husbande and I couldn't notice that our oldest doe Tori was starting to look very very pregnant for just being 13 weeks bred. Here expected due date is first week of January.

Tori(in the front in the first picture) is going on 10 years old and is a 50% Boer/ Nubian cross. We have had her since she was weaned and purchased her from a farm in PA. She has been a great doe for us. She kidding every year we have had her. She is bred to Twister this year. Although a big dairy cross doe like this is going to have a good sized rumen, she is for sure starting to grow around the girth. and I am even seeing signs of a small amount of udder filling in.
Behind Tori in this picture is Indie(Paint doe), that pour doe just looks like she is bursting at the seems everyyear. She isn't a very big framed doe and she has given me a doe and buckling every year, she is going on 6 or 7 years old. 100% Boer. She is also due first week of January. The black headed does in the back corner of the picture are STar and Nova, we will talk about them another time. These does are on pasture only at this time.
3140_tori_oct_21_20121.jpg

In this picture is Tori, and behind her is Pepper. Pepper is actually a daughter to Indie. She is 4 or 5 years old. Due the same time as Indie.
3140_tori_oct_21_20122.jpg

The business end of Tori:
3140_tori_oct_21_20124.jpg

And I couldn't help this picture:
3140_tori_oct_21_20123.jpg

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Good luck!

I got crazy (AGAIN) and bred mine to start in Nov (mostly Nubs) then the boers start late Dec. Our 1st ones are due in less than 1 mo!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Good luck!

I got crazy (AGAIN) and bred mine to start in Nov (mostly Nubs) then the boers start late Dec. Our 1st ones are due in less than 1 mo!
It is hard for us to wait, but November kids are too big for most of our fairs. And the couple years we kidded in December just was overwhelming right before the holidays for us. I have a lot of things I need to do with the my children for the holidays and kidding out 15 or 20 goats a week before christmas just took up too much time.

Good luck with yours.
Where the heck is your kidding thread?????

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'm waiting til it gets a little closer. We're having gorgeous weather this week, trying to keep my butt outside and enjoy it. I'll get some pics taken and start one soon.

I have one due Christmas day! Our 'best' doe, bred to Bullitt.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
When is Pippi due? I LOVE Pippi!
Sorry, but we sold her after she kidded this spring. She was a great doe and gave us many wonderful kids. We have 3 does in our herd from her, Nova, Star, and Haley. Plus another farm we work with has one of her does. Last year we had to assist her kids nursing on her, her teats were getting quite large and low to the ground, and to make kidding season easier on us this year, we sold several does that were either requiring kidding assistance or assistance with their kids once they were born. It was a tough decision for to let Pippi go. :(

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
jodief100 said:
Sorry, but we sold her after she kidded this spring. She was a great doe and gave us many wonderful kids. We have 3 does in our herd from her, Nova, Star, and Haley. Plus another farm we work with has one of her does. Last year we had to assist her kids nursing on her, her teats were getting quite large and low to the ground, and to make kidding season easier on us this year, we sold several does that were either requiring kidding assistance or assistance with their kids once they were born. It was a tough decision for to let Pippi go. :(
I am sorry but I understand. I had to cull the first goat we ever bought for this farm (I had pigmy goats many years ago as a kid) this year and it was tough on me. She will continue on in her beautiful daughters.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
20kidsonhill said:
jodief100 said:
I am sorry but I understand. I had to cull the first goat we ever bought for this farm (I had pigmy goats many years ago as a kid) this year and it was tough on me. She will continue on in her beautiful daughters.
Yes, very tough to make those decisions. we sold 8 older does from our herd this year. It was a sad day. Well, I admit there were a couple I didn't mind seeing leave, but for the most part it was very sad. Hopefully with some of our problem children now gown we wont have to work so hard during kidding season. It was just something we were needing to do and had not done for about 3 years. There were a couple years we kept no replacement animals and you just can't maintain a healthy, productive herd doing that too many years in a row.

Latest posts