1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Bee hive swarm information, history, lessons, successes, etc.

Discussion in 'Bee Swarms, Bee Behavior, & Bee Queens' started by soarwitheagles, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jun 19, 2017 at 8:36 AM
    Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Loving the herd life

No idea, but it sure looks like a swarm moved in.

2. Jun 20, 2017 at 12:44 AM
    soarwitheagles

soarwitheagles Loving the herd life

HC,

Well, I still have no clue regarding many aspects of raising/managing honeybees. Just when I think I have them a little figured out, they do something that totally surprises me.

Take today as an example:

Today, right around 10 am, we had 2-3 new swarms move in to traps placed here on the property. So in May, we had many, many swarms caught here. Then, there was a 1-2 week lull, and I was convinced swarm season was over.

Then BAM! Swarms galore all over again.

I have no clue whatsoever what I am doing most of the time and to be honest with you, at times I feel a bit overwhelmed.

In some aspects, it is a wonderful way to learn. Honey bees sure are a strange type of critter and I feel I can learn a lot while raising/managing them...

3. Jun 20, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Loving the herd life

I feel the same, the bees always surprise me when I think I know something. Never a dull moment! The beekeeper I got my bees from has worked with bees for over 30 years and says they still teach him things.

I keep this in the back of my head......."if in doubt, do nothing". :lol:

With the weather so different year to year, how can anything be the same? Sometimes I can get into a hive no problem without smoke. Other times, you definitely want that smoke! ;)