1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. A Thief has been caught!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Honeybee swarms, lessons, successes and learning experiences

Discussion in 'Bee Swarms, Bee Behavior, & Bee Queens' started by soarwitheagles, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Apr 15, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops Loving the herd life

soarwitheagles likes this.
  2. Apr 15, 2019
    soarwitheagles

soarwitheagles True BYH Addict

Swarm number 7 today...smaller, but still precious! Wetter than heck! It was raining...

Swarm 7.JPG

3. Apr 16, 2019
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Hi Soar, long time....I was thinking about you the other day so I am glad that you checked in. Do you still have the sheep?

Seeing you catch swarms already makes me realize that I need to check my hives this week and split them if needed. I just bought two hives about a month ago and they have been very busy and I certainly want to lose part of them.

Are you eucalyptus trees in bloom this year?

AmberLops likes this.
  4. Apr 16, 2019
    soarwitheagles

Hi Babs!

Yes, long time no talk to you! So sorry!

Yes, sheep have been multiplying like crazy. It will soon be time to thin the flock...will probably sell more than half of them to keep our summer feed costs low. They more than doubled in numbers in the last 8 months.

Yes, I heartily agree, check your colonies asap. During a strong flow the queen can lay over 2000 eggs per day. Within a 10 day period during a strong nectar flow, you may need to install another super or they will surely swarm.

I was concerned we would not catch any swarms this season...but now I think the bees postponed their swarming activity due to the massive rainfall this year...

They've been about 30 days later than normal....

BTW, we launched our new honeybee company this year...

We will be selling nucs, package bees, queens, etc.

We took our colonies to the almond orchards for the first time this year too...

Hope to have a website up soon!

Take care!

5. Apr 17, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

That sounds great! You are really growing your bee business. What breeds of bees do you have?

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  6. Apr 18, 2019
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

That is just so good to hear about your success with the bees and the sheep. Did you every figure out what killed the sheep a few years ago? Did you ever get an LGD?

I don't really want to split my hives as I would prefer just to have a stronger hive instead of smaller ones. But I understand that if I go in and inspect and find swarm cells at that point I have to split or they will swarm. I have equipment to make splits if I have to but just hoping that it isn't too late. I will check on them today.

7. Apr 21, 2019
    soarwitheagles

Baymule,

We raise Carniolians, Italians, Russians, and Heinz 57's!

Babs,

Never found out what killed the lambs. It hasn't happened again.

A good rule to follow on the bees is: ALWAYS add another super when the honey bees have filled 80% or more of the boxes. If you permit the bee numbers, honey, pollen, eggs, larvae, etc. to exceed 90%, you will have just induced a swarm. The most critical and crucial time of the year in California is in the spring when the flow is strong.

Hope this helps!

B&B Happy goats and Baymule like this.
  8. Apr 25, 2019
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Thanks...I was late.
    I checked on one of the two hives and ran out of daylight but boy oh boy were they crowded. There weren't any open frames in the two deeps. There were a lot of swarm cells, which I destroyed. I added another deep and a super. I took as much of the brood as I could and moved it down and put in three empty frames in the middle. Put the brood that wouldn't fit in the bottom in the middle deep along with the honey, and I put some open frames in the box too. Then the top box is 6 frames of honey and 4 empty, and then the super. Hopefully this will keep them happy. They had honey and brood mixed up everywhere, not very organized at all. I also didn't see any pollen stored...maybe just no room. The bearding on the outside of the hive is quite intense. I still need to check the other one but it is just really hard to do when it is 95° outside. They don't seem to be as big as the other hive so hoping that they have room and I will get in there in the next few days.