2020, Waiting on Lambs!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Need to measure, but I feel like trying to push the arena dirt wall back myself by 2ft to the left. And in building area, if it doesn't already have the extra space.
I forgot about the people building the structure, will they need 5 feet of clearance to do so? If so, I'm 100% screwed...I cou6do maybe 1-2ft myself.
20200620_114503.jpg

White board will end up buried, one side by 21A, other side by stone dust. I'll buy taller boards and put it on top to then keep in arena sand all the way around.
Blue is rough building location, you can see the dead space behind. For storage of who knows what. Could use bins and hold training items and tractor tools, I guess.
20200620_114553.jpg

And Hirola eating her powder for breakfast. Based on the poos I see all over, she's eating on her own and gut is starting to get back into proper shape. Don't want to waste the powder, so I sit with her until she's full and I hide the rest until later.
20200620_114301.jpg

Moving a couple of the weediest hay bales, going to use them for hiding the grass seeds. Darn little black birds gobble up every single seed!!

The ewes have found a new spot to congregate at, thankfully. Can't have them stuck under the one tree by gate, such a mucky mess...

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Redid groups again, need to recheck, though.
Moved more to the 3 rams that will be sold next year.

My only NABSSAR ram will be Billy after that for at least 2-3 seasons. Then I'll look for a new one to add or to replace him with.

The others for the next 3-4 seasons will be the 3 spotted rams. Will be trying to keep ewes from them to diversify spotting within the breed. Will probably sell 2 or all three after 3-4yrs. Will also try to keep at least one spotted ram in 3yrs, maybe 2, not sure yet.

Breeding groups version #3.
Sebastian- Ewenique, Vanilla, Bayley, Articuno, Sugar, Hirola.
Michaelis- Addie, Fossa, Willow, Raichu, Juliana, Saola.
Magnemite- Lucia, Patchie.
Krillin- Latte, Lucy, Clefairy, Kakuna, Piccolo, Peri, Evangeline.
Oreo- Eloise, Yamcha, Shelly, Majin.
Apostle- Icarus, Lapras.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday's picture. Seems she'll be fine, going to keep them locked up another week & then release them in with the others, but will deworm again if need be first.
20200621_131852.jpg

I really wish I had tried smaller tubes in the past, would of possibly saved others...but at least now I know & could save future ones.
There's so many deer(seen daily all year long), snails, creeks and wetness, it'll be an issue forever. It's so stressful...

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't do it. I cannot handle those hills...That's what I've realized today. I'm unwilling to risk it, I hate the fear.
Maybe in the dead of winter, when everything is short from grazing, I can try to go over the hills and figure it out and build some confidence, but with the tall grass? No, I'm done until then...

Anyway, arena needs a rear blade on tractor to level the dust. I made a mess with the bucket...
20200627_172718.jpg

Sheep are constantly getting in, peeving me off. Very frustrating.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, the black ram can leave, 9wks old. Waiting for NABSSAR CoR to come in first. He's also OEBSR, but that'll take even longer to arrive, so will just mail it when it comes. White ram is also dual, but has a few more weeks to go. I may keep in a few extra weeks just to make sure he's really okay with being weaned so early in life. He seems okay now, but rather be safe than sorry.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Realized that I can convert the old chicken run into a holding pen for sale sheep on pickup day.
Its about 12x12 foot, 5ft chain link walls. I can use old sections of metal dog crates to create individual walls and doors.
Top right red is gate to enter.
The dotted red in center left is a panel that can be removed or added to make an extra pen. Obviously, I can add more of those along that center to add 5 pens in that walkway. Though, I don't think I'd ever need that many, so I'll just make the 7 for now. Haven't needed more than about 5 thus far, and that was when I was selling adult ewes. But you never know, may have multiple pickups on the same day in the future.
It is about 60ft from the driveway. That'll be a bit annoying, but we'll have to get over it. Lol
There's an old Sycamore tree there for shade, but I'll see if I can find some kind of long term shade slats for the fence. Then all sides will be visually enclosed.
20200703_145332.jpg

Latest posts