2023, Waiting on Lambs!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good eye !!!! Are the lambs small enough that a fox would tackle them? I know a full grown fox will grab a standard size chicken... 5-6 lbs .... many times... but a lamb would be a bit more active and would the ewes try to protect them at all???? Years ago we had horned dorsets and had several ewes that were very protective of their lambs... but then they were alot bigger overall.... they would go after the barn cats that would go through the pasture when they were hunting moles and stuff..... I always had a dog and they would not tolerate it in the field with new babies ( it was a very agreeable German Shepherd) but a couple of the ewes would butt the dog if it got too close. Your sheep look too "nice" dispositioned... How big are the adult ewes/rams?
I realize you also have/had an LGD so maybe things like the foxes are not a problem anyway....
I don't know if my longhorn cow would bother a fox... she does not like dogs or the coyotes at all.....

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good eye !!!! Are the lambs small enough that a fox would tackle them? I know a full grown fox will grab a standard size chicken... 5-6 lbs .... many times... but a lamb would be a bit more active and would the ewes try to protect them at all???? Years ago we had horned dorsets and had several ewes that were very protective of their lambs... but then they were alot bigger overall.... they would go after the barn cats that would go through the pasture when they were hunting moles and stuff..... I always had a dog and they would not tolerate it in the field with new babies ( it was a very agreeable German Shepherd) but a couple of the ewes would butt the dog if it got too close. Your sheep look too "nice" dispositioned... How big are the adult ewes/rams?
I realize you also have/had an LGD so maybe things like the foxes are not a problem anyway....
I don't know if my longhorn cow would bother a fox... she does not like dogs or the coyotes at all.....
They definitely could steal one.
Most ewes are far too passive, some a little stompy, but that's not enough for any kind of protection. Others are downright cowards. 🤦🏽‍♀️ Some headbutt lambs that aren't their own too seriously, yet back away from a predator type.
Wish they were more serious, but then I wonder if the rams would also end up more aggressive, if the gene/s are tied together somehow.
Old LGD lives with the ewes, with the expecting ewes currently. Area butts up to the barnyard where moms w/babies are at. He'd be in the barn snorring if I let him in there, being kinda useless. Other with the cattle, which is kind of behind the barnyard and around a side.
80-140 pound adults. 17-24". My shortest adult was 20", I think one daughter is also that short. Most are 22-23", most rams 23-24".
I don't routinely weigh lambs, but have had 3 & 9 pound lambs.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something odd is happening again. Looking at the lineages the previous ones had vs the current ones, there seems to be three genetic sources! If it only needs one copy/is a dominant gene. At least, for as far back as I'm able to search, which isn't very far without paying for more of the family trees...
This year's common denominator is Oreo, two cases thus far. Previous was two cases by Michaelis & before then was just one case out of patchie & Billy.
Seems that Blue/agouti is definitely in the breed.

Edit
Did more research and these current two are actually minimally spotted & not blue. So, just two sources of oddity, not three.

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lucia × Magnemite, codon needs testing, 8AM.
20230322_080045.jpg20230322_080438.jpg20230322_080509.jpg20230322_080515.jpg20230322_080536(0).jpg20230322_080955.jpg

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score

This is kind of it. They get stupid and trample their babies. Had to tie her to be able to help them find the teats & eat enough to take their first nap.

Latest posts