2023, Waiting on Lambs!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Triplet and a twin white left as bottle wethers late last night.

Mimosa had twin ewelings early this morning in the freezing cold. Sire Ross.
20230330_105659.jpg

Then Hickory had a single eweling. Sire WallaWalla-BingBang.
20230330_114256.jpg

Out of jugs. Hopefully, I can let two moms out tomorrow. Washing all of the towels and half of the coats, as there's none left again.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
The darker Mimosa twin has been tubefed several times today. She just has no interest in nursing and can't hold her head up above shoulders. I've had others like that before, with the weak neck, they're usually fine in a day or two. But not wanting to eat isn't good.

Waiting on a black ewe to lamb. Seems she's still early in labor, so I have to stay up & wait.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gloves do not help the stench seeping through. I already knew that, but golly, septic rot is stronger than regular rot.

I'll just say, if your gut is screaming "that's intestines" during an internal check of the uterus, go get your gun. Do not get a vet & try to keep her alive.

And if you're wondering what intestines feel like, it's a slippy, rubbery looped texture that's unmistakable & feels nothing like what's in a uterus.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gloves do not help the stench seeping through. I already knew that, but golly, septic rot is stronger than regular rot.

I'll just say, if your gut is screaming "that's intestines" during an internal check of the uterus, go get your gun. Do not get a vet & try to keep her alive.

And if you're wondering what intestines feel like, it's a slippy, rubbery looped texture that's unmistakable & feels nothing like what's in a uterus.

Poor girl. You are right, don’t call the vet to save her.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
The 💩 year that keeps on crapping onto me...

Everyone remembers the ewe from last year that was too small & I had to take her to the vet to remove lamb?
She injured her bladder & became a permanent dribbler.

She did not get pregnant this year. She has a UTI. She's fully wool blind, but she could still sense me & I wasn't able to catch her until tonight, a Friday, after hours, FFS.

So, does anyone know what you give for a UTI in a female sheep? Will call Monday morning for an appointment, but until then...Will norfenicol, ampicillin, tylan or terramycin work or do I need a new drug from the vet?

I trimmed all of the wool on her backside & tail to stop her dirty end from touching. Infection, swelling, bleeding, squatting all the time, like a female dog down to the ground.

Kibito has a very firm udder & full teats. She has no tail, but long wool, so cannot see her lady bits unless you catch her & move the wool out of the way, also swollen & looking close. Moved her in with the moms & lambs, now I wait again. It could just be practice, but we'll see.

Latest posts